02 magnum to 12 hemi swap???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcoach222

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500, 2007 2500
Engine
5.9L magnum, 6.7L cummins
hello fellas, im new here so i thought id start off with an easy question! anyone have any idea if it is possible to swap a 5.9l magnum for a 5.7l hemi? now im sure this is possible, however, i am more concerned with the computer aspect of this! The low down: i have an 02 ram with a 5.9 mag. and i have recently bought a 5.7 hemi, tranny, computer, wiring harness, etc... yes, without any research! so here i am! Ive just started researching this so i am fairly certain itll go in the truck but will this thing be compatible with my truck? any help would be very much appreciated! thx

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Depends on what year engine you got. A 3rd gen (03-08) hemi will be a reasonable swap. Anything 09+ will be much more difficult due to the VVT, active intake, etc. These things can't be programmed into an older PCM.

nim81

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You'll need a new tranny as well

Sent from iPhone Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
He said he got the engine and trans, I'm just wondering if it was a 2012 setup that he bought.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
Considering the fact he got everything computer and wiring, why could he not use the 12 stuff with vvt? I want to do a 6.1 or 6.4 swap and I know I need wiring, computer, and elect throttle.

on tapatalk from my GS3....

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Considering the fact he got everything computer and wiring, why could he not use the 12 stuff with vvt? I want to do a 6.1 or 6.4 swap and I know I need wiring, computer, and elect throttle.

Because he'd have to replace ALL of the truck wiring. 06+ are CANbus vehicles, 02-05 are PCI bus. The way the wiring runs and the modules talk to each other is TOTALLY different. He could swap in the newer engine, but would have to ditch the stock cam, MDS hardware and VVT hardware and then get a custom tune.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
It is possible then, with some major modifications

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It is possible then, with some major modifications

ANYTHING is possible with the right funding and know-how. Major modifications doesn't even begin to cover it. Because of the CANbus the ENTIRE truck wiring harness(es) stem to stern would be needed. CANbus functions more like a computer network than old school vehicle wiring.

The swap you're wanting to do has been done many times, but it is with a compatible engine and computer modules. As long as you keep your wiring and computer modules within the 03-05 year range, you're good. You wouldn't be able to adapt MDE or VVT to your setup. Someone did a 4.7 to 5.7 swap in an 04 or 05 (can't remember) on another forum and didn't even bother with the electronic throttle or 5.7 PCM and it worked. What you don't see is anyone doing swaps like this on anything 06 or newer unless it's a factory supported shop (like Mr Norm, Arrington, etc). There is a reason for this. It's one thing to stroke an engine within the same family, or install an engine that was supported close to your model year or setup. It's another to do it across the wiring styles. Give you a small example. First gen Liberty's are PCI bus just like 02-05 Rams. I know of a guy on a Jeep forum who wanted a MyGig head unit from a much newer Canbus vehicle in his PCIbus Liberty. Normally this would not work AT ALL. Lucky for him he was an electrical engineer with some contacts in the factory; this allowed him to build a translator box that allowed the MyGig head unit that was used to getting certain signals from the CANbus to function correctly in a PCIbus. He said to recreate it (because people BEGGED him to make them to sell) would be untold hours of cubic $$ and labor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dcoach222

dcoach222

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500, 2007 2500
Engine
Sry fellas, i should of been a little better with the details...i know there is a ton of crap in this so please excuse me! let me try this again... i own a 2002 ram 4x4 w/5.9L magnum, i recently purchased a 2012 5.7L hemi, tranny, computer, and wiring harness out of a wrecked 2012 2x4 ram! I realize there will be some tranny issues as far as 4x4/4x2 goes..is the 2012 the same family of tranny as mine? Can i change out the tail shaft? will the hemi bolt up to my tranny? 2012 gear in a 2002 is probably a huge stretch but i gotta try! i would hate to have to get rid of all this and not be able to use it!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sry fellas, i should of been a little better with the details...i know there is a ton of crap in this so please excuse me! let me try this again... i own a 2002 ram 4x4 w/5.9L magnum, i recently purchased a 2012 5.7L hemi, tranny, computer, and wiring harness out of a wrecked 2012 2x4 ram! I realize there will be some tranny issues as far as 4x4/4x2 goes..is the 2012 the same family of tranny as mine? Can i change out the tail shaft? will the hemi bolt up to my tranny? 2012 gear in a 2002 is probably a huge stretch but i gotta try! i would hate to have to get rid of all this and not be able to use it!

Your trans is a 46RE bolted to that 360. This will not bolt to a hemi. The whole shebang will drop in, but you will need a transfer case adapter. The 2012 trans is a 6 speed. Your biggest issues will be getting all the electronics to work properly. You will be attempting to interface PCI and CANbus components; 2 systems that were never designed to talk to each other. Most people who do a 4.7 to hemi swap stick with 03-05 setups. The most successful one I saw was an 02 4.7 to an 03 5.7, then he went a step further and converted it to 05 (arguably the best custom tuning year available). The newer engines also have redesigned front accessories since it has to clear the throttle body coming out of the front. To accomodate that you either have to convert to an 03-05 front cover/accessories or custom make hoses, etc, to adapt what's on the engine to your truck. For starters, the A/C compressor is moved way down on the driver's side.

2011-ram-1500-57-liter-hemi-v-8-engine-illustration-photo-410419-s-1280x782.jpg

hemi.jpg

In my truck (like the bottom photo) it's up top. I'm not trying to **** in your wheaties, I'm just a realist calling it like I see it. Swaps like these take a good amount of planning ahead of time. I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dcoach222

dcoach222

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500, 2007 2500
Engine
thanks for the input, sounds like a great deal of work involved in all this!!! im not sure i wont to go that far with it! i dont have the garage space for the kind of project for one, two, im not sure i want to spend that kind of time tryin to get it to work! So maybe i should just look into selling all this and try to recoop the money i spent on it!?!? breaks my damn heart! so if i want to persue a hemi swap, i should be looking for an 08 or older?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thanks for the input, sounds like a great deal of work involved in all this!!! im not sure i wont to go that far with it! i dont have the garage space for the kind of project for one, two, im not sure i want to spend that kind of time tryin to get it to work! So maybe i should just look into selling all this and try to recoop the money i spent on it!?!? breaks my damn heart! so if i want to persue a hemi swap, i should be looking for an 08 or older?

It would make your life a helluva lot easier (remember, its your choice though). Your choices here would wiring/computer from an 03 (separate ECM and TCM), 04-05 (single PCM). From what I've heard, 03 is the easiest to swap (especially with a 2002), but 04 (and even better 05) get you MUCH better tunability. Any 03-08 hemi engine will work, but if you get an 06-08 you need to pull the MDS hardware out (solenoids, MDS lifters and cam). There are plugs to replace the solenoid holes and this would be a good opportunity for a cam swap (stock non-MDS lifters will work fine here). Side note: any 2500 hemi will not have MDS regardless of year. 03 harness will only have provisions for 2 O2 sensors and no EGR; 04-05 has EGR and 4 O2 sensors. A matching year 545RFE will work with whatever harness you decide on. DO NOT get an 06-08 harness/computer, as you will have the same problems as trying to adapt the '12 harness. Sending you a PM as well.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You might want to consider parting out your 2012 Hemi powertrain and using the proceeds to rebuild your 5.9 into a screaming beast.

It's only a matter of time until someone on here needs a Gen 4 engine or the 2012/early '13 tranny.

I'm guessing someone in Texas--not saying, just saying.

You're in Vegas so not too far. :Sumo:

OP
OP
dcoach222

dcoach222

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500, 2007 2500
Engine
I think you guys are right...maybe a build for the 5.9 is in order! itll be a tough sell for this stuff being so new! it could take awhile! well i guess its all for sale then! thx for the help fellas...much appreciated!

OP
OP
dcoach222

dcoach222

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500, 2007 2500
Engine
ok one more thing! heres where im at with this!....i need some suggestions on a build for the 5.9! cam? chip? any ideas? i tow alot with it, id like to get a few more mpg out of it too though! it has a 6" lift w/35"s so im not too optamistic about that...its at 160k so its time! i have a cold air and dual magnaflow exhaust.....anything else i should replace? like sensors or anything of that nature???

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
408 stroker kit, Edelbrock heads, Hughes cam, 1.7 rockers and intake manifold = torque monster

torque monster + old trans = broken trans

broken trans + rebuild + aftermarket higher stall torque converter = fun again

Who doesn't like math?

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
tuuuuurboooooo.lol

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Zack you could sell him your Vortech setup and go to a 88mm single turbo unless you want less lag and go to a single 66.