02 Sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hope you guys don't hate all my questions. I have just about tuned up everything on my truck, except for the 02 sensors. My truck has 100k miles, and I don't know when they were changed. I have a magnaflow exhaust, stock cats. How much toll does it take on the mpg.

Do I need to order two of them for replacements?

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
O2 sensors are part of routine maintenance a lot of people overlook until they stop working and start causing more problems than just poor mileage. I changed mine when I first got my truck and it helped my gas mileage a bit and my truck runs a lot smoother now.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
^^^ Yep...they have a service life and each type of sensors service life is different...generally anywhere between 40K miles to 80K miles, depending on the type of sensor.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So am I needing to buy 2 02 sensors, what is upstream and a downstream?

Rockauto has 02 sensors for my truck for half the price of autozone!

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Depending on brand that will depict price. I have heard stories of knock off sensors not performing well. You should replace the sensors in pairs.

A little Definition:
Upstream = Before cat.
Downstream = After cat.

Some vehicles have more than one cat and sometimes more 02 sensors. I believe you only have 2 sensors. Don't forget the special socket to take them out. Makes things a ton easier.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rock auto caries bosch o2 sensors, the same ones that are top quality at autozone.

They have different kinds listed for my year, upstream and downstream. It says 2 are required for each part number on the details.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Honestly, just be more concerned about the upstream rather than the downstream...the upstream is the one that does all the magic...the downstream is basically there to tell you when your cat is taking a **** on you.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ideally, wouldn't the sensor just get clogged or dirty. I could clean them somehow and expect something of an advantage.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
they can get clogged with carbon, short out...you cannot clean an o2 sensor safely...it;s best to replace them...they are very sensitive to fumes that would be left of chemicals and stuff...

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
They hit the nail on the head and becarful taking the old ones out, they will be tight as hell.

Torque

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They have different kinds listed for my year, upstream and downstream. It says 2 are required for each part number on the details.

Right, you have two upstream and two downstream. If you do decide to replace these, do not touch the sensor end at all. Handle them by the hex you put the wrench on. I've seen even natural skin oil mess them up.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right, you have two upstream and two downstream. If you do decide to replace these, do not touch the sensor end at all. Handle them by the hex you put the wrench on. I've seen even natural skin oil mess them up.

This is what I was looking for, thanks! :drool:

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
some advide taking them out....take the truck for a spin around the block so the exhaust gets hot...it will be easier to get them free...also...I like using a 10inch adjustable wrench on mine...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock