03 5.7 build for daily drive and towing help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbridge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7 4x4 QC
I had a lifter go out and i decided to rebuild the motor. so the motor is down at the machine shop in line to get rebuild. im looking to do a stock rebuild but a little extra power for towing. any input will help especially what i can do to the motor that i can tell the guys at the machine shop to do. this is the mods im thinking and would love some help on this build
diablo I2
ati balancer (not sure if it will be good for night towing)
pacesetter heads and y pipe
new fuel rail
new injectors (stock or dethworks not sure)
new intake manifold (do i really need a new or no)
i know im gonna need to change the gears up but i just want to do the motor first then ill get to the taller gears. please help me your input would be greatly appreciated

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
i have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 5.7 4x4 QC
I had a lifter go out and i decided to rebuild the motor. so the motor is down at the machine shop in line to get rebuild. im looking to do a stock rebuild but a little extra power for towing. any input will help especially what i can do to the motor that i can tell the guys at the machine shop to do. this is the mods im thinking and would love some help on this build
diablo I2
ati balancer (not sure if it will be good for night towing)
pacesetter heads and y pipe
new fuel rail
new injectors (stock or dethworks not sure)
new intake manifold (do i really need a new or no)
i know im gonna need to change the gears up but i just want to do the motor first then ill get to the taller gears. please help me your input would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to RF, I rebuilt my Hemi a few years ago so I can share what I've learned. I'm sure you'll get other opinions as well.

Camshaft - Find Jay Greene at Greene racing on Facebook, he can set you up with a custom Cam to suit your needs. This would require a custom tune and an upgrade of the valvetrain.
Headers - Shorties will give a small boost in HP, long tubes can actually hurt your low end torque.
Cylinder Heads - Potential for a big boost in HP but expensive.
Fuel Injectors - May not need to be replaced but put in new O-rings.
Tuner - YES, but not sure if the Diablo will work with you're '03.
Intake Manifold - Stock is fine.
Fuel Rail - If it's really rusty replace it.
Torque Converter - This was my favorite Mod. Moe's Performance recommended a 2600 stall and while towing on the highway at 65mph on stock tires my rpms are exactly 2600. It helps you off the line as well.
Transmission Cooler - 1 Ton HD Trans cooler, easy to swap and great for towing.

I had my engine overbored .020" and went with forged pistons and connecting rods, the overbore gave me a few extra HP and the forged bottom end peace of mind. Could also do a stroker kit for big HP gains but again expensive and requires custom tuning. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

OP
OP
S

sbridge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Awesome thanks!!! I contacted Greene racing and he gonna make me a cam. Did you get your 2600 torque converter from Moe's performance or can I just got to summit racing since it's in 30 mins from me?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I would recommend Moe's, that's where I got mine. Let Matt know what gears and tire size your planning on running and he'll will set you up with the right converter.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Awesome thanks!!! I contacted Greene racing and he gonna make me a cam. Did you get your 2600 torque converter from Moe's performance or can I just got to summit racing since it's in 30 mins from me?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the custom cam run you? Comparable to a comp cam?

OP
OP
S

sbridge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i ended up with a circle d 2600 torque converter, and im going with the premuim JG cam kit which is around 1200