03 5.7 hemi cam bearings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schelling53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a tapping noise in my 03. 135000 miles on it. I did valve springs and seals. I heard these have issues with the cams wiping a lobe. Can anyone elaborate on that? Also if that's the case what are the chances the cam bearings are bad? I can pull the heads and do a new cam lifters and push rods but I can't do cam bearings on my own. Also it appears I'd have to pull the engine to do the bearings. I have found only 1 person anywhere on line that welded a cam bearing to the cam and spun it. I don't have any oil pressure issues and I assume I would if I had a spun bearing? Seems like low miles to be worrying about anything like this. Just plan to do a new cam lifters and push rods for the low cost of roughly 750 in parts. if someone can tell me otherwise I'd greatly appreciate any input. From my understanding the cam bearings usually far outlast the rest of the engine. Thanks in advance!

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Was the tapping there before you replaced the valve springs? I would make sure all of the pushrods are in place. I've had a couple bad lifters on my '06 and both times the cam lobe was scuffed enough that the camshaft needed to be replaced. There was also a gap between the rocker arm and pushrod due to the collapsed lifter. I've never heard of the cam bearings wearing out either. You can just reuse the pushrods.

OP
OP
S

Schelling53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The tapping has been there a while. Gets some better when it warms up. My pushrods are quite worn so I plan to replace them.