03 5.7 misfire at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sean_chot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have a 2003 1500 5.7 and I've had this problem for about the past year. When at idle, (which it barely does) the rpms will bounce around from 300-1200. It pretty much sounds like it has a race cam and is making 1200 horsepower to the wheels. It seems to be an intermittent problem but I can usually tell exactly when it is going to do it. When the truck starts, if it first revs up over 2000, it should be fine. Anything under that and it will start the misfire. It does it constantly in park and neutral. If you shift into drive or reverse it will steady out for a short period of time (maybe 20 seconds to a minute) then start misfiring. Once you get above 10 mph or so, the truck runs great. You punch it and she goes. It doesn't seem to be dependent on engine temp, but rather on the outside temp. I live in Michigan so the winters here are pretty cold. That being said, it will misfire a lot less the colder the temp outside is. It has recently started heating up the the idle has gotten worse. I have disconnected the battery, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned the MAF sensor, and checked the trans fluid. The truck has also had new spark plugs, new plug wires, new coils, new coil wire ends, new pcm, checked for broken valve springs (which none are broken) and my mechanic said that he updated the idle programming. I also just had the dealer do the fuel system flush that cleans the injectors. For the 3 days after that it idled perfectly but it's now back to what I call "the idle bounce". I've run out of ideas on what to try next and don't want to go throwing a ton of sensors in her because I don't think that will fix it. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sean_chot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty sure that the 03s don't have an EGR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They just are not very good trucks. I had a Nissan for 15 years and before that a Toyota for 10. I have had a Dodge now for 9 months. All trucks were used. I have had more problems in 9 months then in last 25 years total. Thank god for this website!!! I feel your pain. Every guy in my area who has one has problems also. Some of them are unable to fix. They are starting to show up in the junkyards in large numbers. Good news is we should be able to get lots of junk parts in a year or so more.