03 Dodge Ram Hemi Engine Can Hardly Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

03Blackride

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi
We now have all 16 of the new valve springs installed. The picture below is of the passenger side when we first started replacing the valve springs. We also had time to install the intake rocker arm. We torqued the rocker arm bolts to 195 inch lbs. in sequence. Almost there! Thanks for your support, Tommy.

Valvespringcompressortoolinstalled.jpg

OP
OP

03Blackride

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes, we got it running. The engine started right up! The engine is running really smooth. I did not road test it yet. I will be changing the engine oil and oil filter tomorrow. Then I will take it for a road test. These Manley valve springs that I installed should last a long time. I don't want to go through this again. Thanks to all of you who supported me. Aloha, Tommy.

OP
OP

03Blackride

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This is my ride. Well worth saving. Thanks again for all the support. Aloha, Tommy.

2003BlackGoldDodgeRamHemi.jpg

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Deff worth saving, wanna say that is the first pic of the truck I have seen not motor related.

JFlowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Chasing the same problem?

This thread has been really helpful. I have also been chasing a rough idle/running problem with my 2003 5.7. No codes. I have replaced the PCV valve, upstream O2 sensor, and intake manifold gaskets. I just changed plugs and only discovered a valve cover leak on the left side #5 cylinder (oil running down the plug from the top). None of this helped. The engine sometimes starts and runs seemingly fine but as soon as I step on the accelerator it bogs down and idles rough. If it sits for a while, it may start and run seemingly fine. If I accelerate slowly, it runs smooth but still seems to lack power. It all changes if I accelerate quickly. Going to pull the valve covers and inspect the springs this weekend. Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Also, where can I get a new set of springs for a decent price? Thanks.

Jason