03 tuning information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Ok guys, I thought I had run this to ground but apparently not. I have had a SC3865 and a DSP. I went to the DSP expecting to custom tune my 03 with a cam and usual mods. I wanted to raise my idle, rev limiter and top speed restriction. Found out DSP custom tune will not do any of these things on a 03. Bought another SC3865 to raise the rev and speed limiter and figure I would add a PSC-1 for the cam. I thought this was the end of story, well got curious about a reply when it was said that all 03's regardless could perform the TMR and looked at the 04 manual and it lists the same PCM's as the 03. Got to looking at JTEC tuning and found B&G tuning Welcome to B&G Performance Dodge/Jeep PCM(Computer)Flashes These folks state on their website that they can adjust idle, rev limiter and speed restricter on 03 JTEC/NGC PCM's. They use SCT or DSP. Since I have already found that the DSP won't make the adjustments needed, this sort of points at SCT. These guys also say they will reflash the OEM PCM to customer specific needs. Anyone running a SCT on a 03 have a input about this. Is this the solution we (03) folks have been looking for?

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Search around here,
http://westersgarage.eidnet.org/DODGE.htmas

these guys also claim the same and have shops in the US. I met a Guy yesterday that has a custom build 04 with 268 Cam, Heads and custom tuning done by these folks with Warranty. He paid em 9K.

Also remember FrostKing from the forgottens, he uses the iEMS3, which you asked him about one time, but the threaqd died. This rig sounds complicated but either you can acheive it using this set-up or send in your PCM but that doesn't make sense to me as they ask what you want without datalogging? So I am gonna contact them about DSP Tuning and Rev Limit Raising. Idle is not an issue at this time. Good reading for sure.

iEMS3, In Series Integrated Engine Management System3 [IS8G3] - $1,195.00 : Moe’s Performance, offering Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep Performance Auto Parts, HEMI Performance Parts

One More thing, there was talk somewhere about stacking the SCT onto the Diablo but again I think that is Frostkings discussion.

I am always reading into this as well and understand we 03's want decent tuning along with the ability to shift in the low 6K range, we accomplish that and we'll be Golden.

That said, these gadgets are beyond my expertise, so when you get your head around it please dilute it and spoon feed it Back. Thanks!
Dan

Last edited:
OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Danny, My mind gets side tracked easily so I have a hard time remembering what all has been posted. But I have learned a couple of things, one being this 03 tuning is not as easy as it should be. But I personally spoke to two DSP tuners and Diablo and was told by all three that my 03 could NOT have it's rev or speed limiter adjusted using the DSP custom tune or canned tunes, period. That is when I decided to go back to SC to make the adjustments and address the cam using something like Pcs-1. I may still do it this way. But can't help to think that there are folks who have figured this out. If nothing else I plan to send my PCM to B&G to have them update the version in it so I can load my damn SC3865. Price looks to be $130 for that to be done. I'll jump on it when I get home.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
There a few things that seem like red flags to me but I could be wrong

This is a free download for everyone to use the SCT to load updates to the handheld
-PCM Stock upgrades to current DCX Software releases $130.00 includes shipping (Ground)

The computer will be tweaked a few times to find the sweet spot
-Recalibration Fee for previous purchased Flash - $230 includes shipping (Ground)

This seems like there making cookie cutter tunes and making you buy them from there not really working on your truck for you but a group and hope they all react the same.
-Upgrades on all flashes when enhancements are released to our base calibration - $50 includes shipping(Ground)

I would Pm Sean aka Hemifever who is a DSP and SCT custome tuner and see what he thinks. Would hate to see ya get ripped off but that company could be awesome just cant say not knowing.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
There a few things that seem like red flags to me but I could be wrong

This is a free download for everyone to use the SCT to load updates to the handheld
-PCM Stock upgrades to current DCX Software releases $130.00 includes shipping (Ground)

The computer will be tweaked a few times to find the sweet spot
-Recalibration Fee for previous purchased Flash - $230 includes shipping (Ground)

This seems like there making cookie cutter tunes and making you buy them from there not really working on your truck for you but a group and hope they all react the same.
-Upgrades on all flashes when enhancements are released to our base calibration - $50 includes shipping(Ground)

I would Pm Sean aka Hemifever who is a DSP and SCT custome tuner and see what he thinks. Would hate to see ya get ripped off but that company could be awesome just cant say not knowing.

I did PM Sean and yes and it can get expensive. However apparently B&G has a Chrysler engineer with the ability to tune the OEM PCM's. I was told in the past they couldn't raise the idle but could bypass the speed limiter. Now looking at their website it appears they can adjust both idle and speed limiter. For $350 they will flash what might be consider a canned tune and for $450 a custom tune using customers data. I'm thinking since I already have the SC I might just have them or someone with the capability to just reflash an update into my PCM. The local dealer tried to reflash my PCM and failed to install the new version number. They say it is locked from previously installing a DSP. I think it is all BS, but I still need a update to install my SC tuner.
I don't know these folks but if they can raise the idle (750) it might help with a more aggressive cam. And I was told that SCT can't tune an 03 hemi. So they are reflashing the OEM PCM which raises questions about future dealer visits. Like I have said, it ain't easy.

I'll throw this in about the iEMS3 series system. This looks like it can be very finely tuned and would be great for turbo/supercharger installs or a seriously modified engine. But it relys on the OEM PCM also to run things and I see NO reference were it will raise the rpm and speed limiter.

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Wasn't aware of your current problem with your PCM / Post / DSP use and betcha were glad to get rid of it....LOL...

I was Luckey. when my old SC3714 Vin Locked, the Guys at Superchips gave me a good deal on the SC3865 upgrade, but before I loaded it they recommended the dealer "re-flash it" . So that was a success and the old Guy Mechanic told me that he also uploaded all the new updates since 03 (June 09) that my Truck was missing (he did mention an idle tweak in there as well). So had I not done that!!! and just tried to load the new SC !! It may not have worked right?

So bottum line is DSP on an 03 will work (Proof Aaron) and if your Cam is Low enough then the Rev Limiter Opt. you can live without, and custom Tuning is doable with a Guy like Sean and some equipement (already explained to me by Aaron what I all need and got it written down).

But I can understand your Overall situation / goal is a bit different than mine cause you are an SC and are prolly leaning towards gettin like a Cam 268 / or SPARTAN in there and do the required 62,63K shifts!

Keep us posted, Greg. :birgits_tiredcoffee