04 1500 4wd not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lone_Wolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
hemi 6.4
i dont know if this is in the right category, sorry if it isnt but my dad just went to move his truck , had to go up a snowy hill driveway. he tried to use 4wd but it wouldnt work, his truck has the stick on the floor, puts it in neutral pops it in 4h light comes on and stays solid but only the rear wheels spin, sounds like a slight grinding noise in the front, it worked fine last year..

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 03 ram has 4h towards the driver. It goes 4lo - N - 2hi - 4 hi. It is shift on the fly, so if it is grinding it means the front and rear driveshafts are not spinning the same speed.

OP
OP
L

Lone_Wolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
hemi 6.4
just tried shifting while the truck was moving still nothing, its not a harsh grinding, sounds kinda like it might not be fully engaging and its slipping? only thing i can think of next to describe is to make a vid possibly..

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did the shifter feel like it was centering itself in the 4wd position? Maybe the linkage is loose or binding?