04 5.7 stalls after filling up??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 E-torque
Okay... had the truck for about a month or so now. I have noticed something rather odd... when I fill up the tank, the truck will stall on me for about 10-15 minutes afterwards. Only in slow city driving. If I fill up and get on the highway - no problems. So I have deduced that it does it just off idle... like when I take of from a light or turn a corner and step on the accelerator.

Before everyone starts saying that I am filling it up too much..... I fill it til it clicks and round up to the 10 cent mark (if it clicks at $60.23.. I round up to $60.30). So I know I am not 'over filling' the truck.

Any ideas? .. other than only put $10 in at a time

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a pretty common deal, not the first time I have heard about it. I don't know what or if there is anything to do remedy it though.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My truck did this a few times when I went to wal-mart and filled up. I don't use their gas anymore and it hasn't done it to me since, maybe you just got bad gas? Try runnin some engine treatment thru it

Wanderer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 04 does that, but only after filling up at a specific BP station, no where else. Go figure?

mountaingoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine will do it if i put a half tank or a full tank but only if it idles afterwards if i actually drive it it doesnt act like that

rennaissanceman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does this every time if I fill it all the way up, now I just stop pumping before it is completely full. I'd love to find a solution to this, cause it'd save me from having to do the math on how much gas to put in based on the position of the needle each time.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Shell has is all I ever use. You won't have bad, contaminated, or low grade fuel from them.

Wired that so many people are having the same problem.
El phono

Last edited:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Wondering if there is some evap issues. I can't say I have had that issue though in either trucks.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Are you making sure the fuel cap is on tight?

OP
OP
Moparron

Moparron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 E-torque
Okay... so I tried the 'not filling all the way up' major fail... I just cant seem to figure it out to be a gallon from the top!
Also tried different stations...i.e. Shell, Chevron, Texaco. Doesn't seem to matter where I purchase fuel.
Fuel cap is on tight.... five or six clicks

I have found that if I purchase fuel and get on the interstate for 30 minutes or so - no problems. But if I fill up in an area where I am working (stop and go in city traffic) It takes about 15 miles before it seems to start acting normal. BUT.... I drove 20 miles in sort of City/highway conditions (50 MPH speed zone, limited lights) thought I was good... rolled up to a stop sign and it stalled - GRRRRRR

If this is a common issue... hasn't anyone figured it out yet??

rennaissanceman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm surprised nobody has figured it out yet as well. Usually when I fill up I wait until it is at or past an eighth of a tank and put 20 gallons in it and that has been working well for me. It only happens when I stop as well. I've heard that it might be an evap issue like KG said, but I'm unsure what part would need to be replaced to fix it.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The evap canaister maybe getting overfilled with fuel IDK, cant say either of the 3 rams at the houses have had the issue.

OP
OP
Moparron

Moparron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 E-torque
Okay... so this evening was cool enough for me to probe a little more.....traced lines all the way back and forth. Nothing jumping out at me. But I have heard it could be the canister or the purge solenoid.... for the pair from rock auto would be about $60 - might try that. It is obvious that raw fuel is getting into the intake from when I took the throttle body off... the intake was orange with varnish and stunk of old fuel :-(

DirtyGirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a leak detection pump, a filter, and under the hood on the driver side is the EVAP system purge solenoid. I'd check to see if raw gasoline is getting to the EVAP purge solenoid.

dirtwaterfox

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
Mine is doing the same thing. I don't think it has anything to do with the brand of gas. It seems to do it less if I don't fill it all the way. I've tried leaving the engine running while fueling and today it actually shut it self off when the gas handle clicked. It might be the ethanol in the gas? Has anyone tried using non-ethanol gas? When I bought it there was a religious decal on the back window near the gas cap. i scraped it off and replaced with NRA. Bad idea, maybe this thing is possessed. Anyone out come with a solution?