04 ram 4.7 with bad head gasket . what engines will swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

four4fish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello and thanks in advance . I need a new motor for 04 1500. I found 1 in a 03 durango with 35,000 miles , but there is some differences in carrier mounting boss and I cant find anywhere any real answer on this . Anyone know definitively, what this difference is . Can it be removed my my motor and installed on new engine , any where to find pics of difference? thanks again

ercmesser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It should go ez. the only thing you need to look out for EGR valve. I don't know about the Durango But my Ram didn't have one. If you have one you will need to swap the driver side head out. Right now my in the process of rebuilding my 4.7 and the motor is out of an 05 Durango. And I need to grab a set of non EGR heads.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Tak the two motors and put them side by side on the floor (assuming you have them both out) and look to see whats different. Transfer over what is different. My 07 4.7 is out of an 05 and I had to change a few things but wasn't too difficult. Motor is essentially the same.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Check the tone ring. I forgot where the cutoff year is between the 2. Also, if you plan on keeping the truck put a reman in. Don't waste time or money with a used 4.7 if you plan to hold on to it.