06' 1500 4.7 2WD auto 13MPG!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crf450ish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck has 85K miles on it and its only averaging 13MPG! WTF! This is not cool. Its all stock. Is there any options out there for increasing MPG? open it up with a k&n intake & filter and full exhaust and a chip maybe? Any suggestions? Thanks.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When was the last time the plugs were changed? Remember these engines run best on Champion Copper or NGK Nickle plugs, BUT they are only a 30,000 mile plug...however, they are cheap to replace yourself as you can gernerally purchase the champions for less than $18 from Napa or the NGK's for less than $21.

Some other things to try are...clean your throttle body well and IAC...get some mass air flow sensor cleaner and clean you intake air temp sensor well. Make sure all your tires are at proper PSI. Also, at 87,000 miles, I'd go ahead and replace your upstream O2 sensor.

Other than that, there's not much to do. My reg cab/short bes 2005 Ram has the 4.7 too, I have an AirAid MIT intake on the stock air box with a K&N filter, I run a Flowmaster 40 series single in dual out muffler dumped, I have 3.92 gears, and I only have 59K miles on it and my average with mixed driving is 17.5 MPG's, and thats with a light foot.

I will say this, idling AND running the RPS's over 1650 in OD, will kill the MPG's in our generation 4.7...I try to idle as little as possible and whenever possible on the highway I set my cruise right at 60MPH, which is 1650 RPM's. If I am on a really long intersate run, I can start seeing 21-22.5 MPG's on the EVIC, but as soon as I hit city traffic, I can sit there and watch it drop.

300MAG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 04 quad cab with the 20" wheels and got 11mpg around town, from what I read what your getting is pretty avg for 04-06 w/ 4.7L. I got rid of mine for the lousy mileage after only 2 years. My 4th gen with 5.7 is much better. You can try a cold air intake and/or tuner and pickup a couple mpg, but I found the more you mod tje heavier your foot gets and wipes out your savings.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy-S3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
My dads '11 averages around 11 with maybe 15k miles on it

Keep in mind of you spend $200 on an intake you might pick up 1mpg tops and it'll take 10k miles or more just to pay for the intake before you start seeing a savings in fuel

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
To re-itterate what Adam said, replace the plugs, and keep the rpms around 1600. I drove a 400 mile round trip doing about 63 mph and averaged about 20 mpg on the highway.Granted, I have a 5 spd but should be about the same for the auto. I have 93K on the clock now, and only the 3.55s

OP
OP
C

crf450ish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When was the last time the plugs were changed? Remember these engines run best on Champion Copper or NGK Nickle plugs, BUT they are only a 30,000 mile plug...however, they are cheap to replace yourself as you can gernerally purchase the champions for less than $18 from Napa or the NGK's for less than $21.

Some other things to try are...clean your throttle body well and IAC...get some mass air flow sensor cleaner and clean you intake air temp sensor well. Make sure all your tires are at proper PSI. Also, at 87,000 miles, I'd go ahead and replace your upstream O2 sensor.

Other than that, there's not much to do. My reg cab/short bes 2005 Ram has the 4.7 too, I have an AirAid MIT intake on the stock air box with a K&N filter, I run a Flowmaster 40 series single in dual out muffler dumped, I have 3.92 gears, and I only have 59K miles on it and my average with mixed driving is 17.5 MPG's, and thats with a light foot.

I will say this, idling AND running the RPS's over 1650 in OD, will kill the MPG's in our generation 4.7...I try to idle as little as possible and whenever possible on the highway I set my cruise right at 60MPH, which is 1650 RPM's. If I am on a really long intersate run, I can start seeing 21-22.5 MPG's on the EVIC, but as soon as I hit city traffic, I can sit there and watch it drop.

Thanks for the information guys. It probably doesnt help that I like to get heavy on the pedal taking off from stops. This is my first V8 truck and I enjoy it. Regardless I am concerned about the milage. I do allot of traveling for work. I went bought the nickel NGK plugs today, changing them this weekend. If the plugs dont do it I will replace the O2 sensors, I'll just keep chugging away at stuff until I get my desired results. But thanks again for the info guys. BTW, is anyone out there running a chip? Is it even worth it to buy one?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only "chip" that is going to really do anything is a Superchips programmer...the Superchips 3865 to be specific. Any "chip" you find on eBay is simply a resistor, and wont do jack.

Now, you can add whats called a power wire to your intake tube.

OP
OP
C

crf450ish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only "chip" that is going to really do anything is a Superchips programmer...the Superchips 3865 to be specific. Any "chip" you find on eBay is simply a resistor, and wont do jack.

Now, you can add whats called a power wire to your intake tube.

Plz elaborate on said power wire.

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 QC 5spd
Engine
4.7L
Basically, the power wire is a resistor that tricks the computer into thinking that the air coming into the motor is colder than that of what it actually is. Thus causing the computer to dump more fuel into the motor, and therefore giving more power. During cruise, the gains a minimal, but at WOT you would see the bump in HP. I can tell you from experience, the best bang for the buck would be a Superchips 3865 like Adam said. This will definately give you more HP/TQ, and if you have a Auto transmission (which I luckily don't) you can change shift points and line pressure, to give you a more aggressive feel to the truck.

FamRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hopefully '13 or '14
Engine
most likely 3.6
Check your tire pressure.
And the tune up, like mentioned before. Use all OEM Parts.
Synthetic Oils Make a difference.
I would stay away from anything that Fools the PCM...will make mpg much worse, and most likely wont make much difference in the power department to warrent the extra fuel.
Keep the tailgate up.

Last edited:

inktoxicated

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have 08 4.7 lifted on 35s i get 11.5-12.0 :manos:

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 07 hemi got me 10.8mpg the first tank and 11.4 this second tank with a light foot. I'd say you're doing fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
C

crf450ish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys for the info. I changed the plugs the other day and they looked to be the original ones. Cleaned the mass ariflow sensor and changed the oil castrol edge 5-30 and put a new air filter in. bumped the milage from avergaing 12.5-13 to right around 15-17 city about 22 on the freeway now. i ordered the superchips 3865

14rsjHemi24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Does the GFORCE performance chip really work? need some opinions bc it gives you 4-7 more MPG and 30 more horsepower..

Detox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does the GFORCE performance chip really work? need some opinions bc it gives you 4-7 more MPG and 30 more horsepower..

4-7 more MPG is a crazy speculated number from a chip.

Only programmer you should really look at is the Superchips flashpaq 3865, as Smokedram mentioned

OP
OP
C

crf450ish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys long time no post here from me the OP. just an update. Yes I'm averaging about 16 mpg on the freeway, provided I stay around 60-63 mph and its relatively flat. Now I'm posting for another reason. TOWING. I want to get a 15'-19' travel trailer bumper tow. What's yours guys' overall suggestions on towing with the 4.7 W/545RFE auto trans? Mines an 06' by the way. 2 wheel drive

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45