'07 4.7 1500 Speed Limiter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTDMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8
My truck seems to hit some kind of speed limiter at around 107mph. Each time I haul ass it's fine up to about 105mph, then when I try to go higher, the motor drops all its power at once, and I get a loud clunk that shakes the entire truck, from somewhere in the driveline. Drop the speed back down to 100-105, and its fine again. Do these trucks have a speed limiter stock?; and if so can it be disabled with a tuner?

Last edited:

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes you have a speed limiter. Yes you can up it with a tuner. Not trying to be mean tho but it prob takes a min for that 4.7 to get to 105, can't see why you need to go faster lol

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Before you disable the speed limiter, check what your tires are rated for, that's normally why the speed limiter is there to begin with. Even my hemi truck had a 105 limiter because the tires were only rated to 112. Makes for a bad day if you exceed the tire limit and walk one at 110+.

OP
OP
LTDMan

LTDMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8
That's what I figured. Thanks for the responce's guys. Guess a tuner will be next on my list then.

Yes you have a speed limiter. Yes you can up it with a tuner. Not trying to be mean tho but it prob takes a min for that 4.7 to get to 105, can't see why you need to go faster lol

It's certainly not a powerhouse by any means, but the 4.7 in mine motivates this heavy beast fairly well. It took around 15 seconds according to the stopwatch on my phone. Just a personal preference wanting to go a little faster, and would just like to see what the truck can do with it's stock configuration as far as top end, before I install either a hemi or cummins motor.

Before you disable the speed limiter, check what your tires are rated for, that's normally why the speed limiter is there to begin with. Even my hemi truck had a 105 limiter because the tires were only rated to 112. Makes for a bad day if you exceed the tire limit and walk one at 110+.

Believe me I know. I was young once. :crazy: This truck came with Z rated Hankooks on it when I bought I, otherwise I'd never attempt it.

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
just hope you aren't doing this on the street. things can go bad fast

OP
OP
LTDMan

LTDMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8
Anyone tried the Superchips 3950 Cortex? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012ILUO4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=12T278REKMXZS&coliid=I2OUSZJLNDR6J3 Are there better programmers out there for the money?

The truck may already be chipped, it doesn't accelerate or shift like any normal 4.7 Ram I've ever driven. It accelerates much faster, the transmission shifts especially are firmer, and it knows exactly when to downshift when I start up an incline. The other stock rams I've driven seemed to be kinda confused about what gear to be in alot of the time. Anyway to tell if it's been programmed before?