07 hemi 5.7 rattle before shifting and cold knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

siermac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all,

First time posting but been browsing for awhile. Seen a lot of similar threads to this one but none quite what I'm hearing.

Recently I noticed a rattle noise coming from the passenger side in the engine compartment. It only seems to happen at a certain level of acceleration right before it drops into a lower gear, when I am giving it easy throttle. If I give it more throttle the noise goes away I believe, hard to say 100% as my cai is a bit loud to hear over. Doesn't happen if I rev the engine in park/neutral, only when driving.

It isn't a tick from what I can tell. Sounds almost like some rocks being shaken in a can, but slightly less pitchy if that makes sense.

Also hearing a knock when I first start my truck before it heats up. Sounds similar to the rattle but more just knocking with the engine rotation rather than a fast rattle. Not sure if they are related.

I've tried checking for anything loose and used a screw driver to listen around but can't pin point it. Just filled up my truck with a higher octane and put some sea foam in, but so far after 100km no difference. I did recently put the cold air intake on and the noise either started just after, or just became noticeable without the resonator box on. Can't hear the noise with the window down either.

Was going to check for oil in the throttle body next but haven't had time. Would like to avoid going to the shop only to be told they can't fix it or don't know what's wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Sounds like a broken exhaust manifold bolt, especially if the sound is less noticeable after the engine warms up. Welcome to the Forum.

OP
OP
S

siermac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks RonJon. I'll check those out and post back. Would that also cause the rattle though?

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your exhaust, I had the same issue and all that needed to be done was putting the exhaust back on that rubber holder if that makes any sense

OP
OP
S

siermac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Haha ya I get what you're saying. I will go over the exhaust and make sure all the mounts are in the proper place. Thanks.

OP
OP
S

siermac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So took off the exhaust manifold today and everything looks fine.

Guess the next thing is checking for oil in the throttle body unless anyone has any other ideas?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Also check all of the insulation and heat shields to, they tend to come loose and rattle from time to time. Just crawl under the truck and start tapping around till you hear what you hear. Good luck bud and welcome to the forum. Keep us informed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye