08 Ram 4.7 "Limp Mode" No CEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigcountry95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Flex Fuel
Brief history on truck:

Bought in Nov 2013 with 64k Miles, always maintained with service records. Only things done since I've owned it: cat-back exhaust, K&N drop in, superchips tuner, replaced pcv valve & hose and regular maintenance.

Now the truck has 103k, never had any problems with it until yesterday (5-27-17). I was driving through walmart parking lot, was about to turn into a parking spot then all of a sudden the rpm dropped, ETC Started flashing on dash, truck lost power and died. I turned the key over to start again, cranked for about 5 seconds then started, sounded horrible (like a extremely bad miss) and I had to hold the pebble to the floor to get it around 1k rpm to make it into the spot then it died again. Would not start after that.

I read the codes with my Superchips tuner and got:

P2172 - High Air Flow/ Vacuum Leak
U0184 - Lost Communications with Radio

I won't be able to get it into a shop until Tuesday because of memorial day weekend so I had it towed to my house.

I've tried unhooking the neg battery cable and letting it sit for 30min, no change

I reset it back to stock tuning and cleared dtcs, no change

I replaced MAP sensor, no change

I've checked throttle body (it was cleaned last summer and still looks good).

I done the key thing to see what codes the truck itself will read, --done-- is all it will say.

As of this morning (5-28-17) it started, sounded like ****, rpms staying very low and sputtering, etc light flashing, no CEL on, truck died, wont start again just keeps cranking.

Read codes again, only showing U0184: Lost communications with radio

I've read several other fourms and have not found anything that really helps, I don't want to keep throwing random parts at it.. Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.