120,000 miles too much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Little Dodge Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins (My Dads truck)
Ok, so that hemi project didnt go down well with my dad. He said quote "even if i had the money, i wouldn't let you get a hemi because they make horrible gas mileage". He did have on 04' hemi 1500 about 4 years ago, and it did make ****** gas mileage. Thats when he traded it for an 04' dodge cummins 2500, and he still has it today. If i were to get a hemi, it wouldn't be a new one obviously, so it would make poor gas mileage. Anyways my question is, is 120,000 miles too much for a 2006 dodge cummins 2500? What i'm trying to say is, i found a 2006 dodge cummins 2500 on ebay for $19,000 buy it now. Now, i still couldn't afford this, but im just curious to know if he's asking too much or not? It's in really good shape, and diesels hold there value pretty well but i want too have input from you experts out there (which are most people on the forums because i don't know too much about diesels, but im only 15).

Heres the link...

Dodge : Ram 2500 | eBay

Thanks for any input!

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
thats a pretty decent deal, ive seen em go cheaper locally ... seen em go 15-17 in similar shape round north texas...

whats your budget?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
A Hemi only gets bad MPG's if you let it .

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
What do you consider bad gas mileage? Its a truck not a prius

OP
OP
L

Little Dodge Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya, i still want a Hemi, but my dad won't let me get one like i said before. He took really good care of his 04' when he had it as well. He also had an eco friendly chip in it, but it made no difference. But that was like 5 years ago, and technology has came really far since then. And not too sure on the budget. 19k is too expensive i know that, but im just 'trying' to talk him into it. Obviously money doesn't grow on trees, and with the economy now-a-days it's hard to come by. I was just curious.

Thanks for the input

OP
OP
L

Little Dodge Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What do you consider bad gas mileage? Its a truck not a prius

He got 7-9 in town (not pulling anything) and about 13-15 on the highway/interstate running about 65mph. Like i said, it was an 04' the newer hemi's have came far since then as well as technology. I'm not trying to start a war with you Hemi guys, trust me i would love to have one. My dad just wont let me even if i had the money.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
7-9 MPG's .. wow ... in my old 04 hemi I got 14 city 16 Hwy .... and it was lifted with big old mud tires ... sounds like dad had something wrong

OP
OP
L

Little Dodge Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
7-9 MPG's .. wow ... in my old 04 hemi I got 14 city 16 Hwy .... and it was lifted with big old mud tires ... sounds like dad had something wrong

He drove it very gingerly. It wasn't lifted or anything. He's no mechanic, but he is pretty damn mechanically inclined with about anything. He works for a big farm company (around my area) as the IT guy. Which stands for Information Technology. He takes care of all the computers etc at all of their locations and theres quite a few of them. So he is tech savy as well. But he can do most of the work to our vehicles himself, but we dont own a garage with a car lift, and some of the tools needed to work on them also, and thats when we bring it to our "family" auto parts store and work on them there. And no there was NOTHING wrong with it at all. It might of been 8-11 in town, and 14-16 on highway/interstate. But for a 16 year old (me) theres NO way i could afford that even if i have a job by then. I mow some yards in my neighborhood now, which obviously isnt enough to pay, insure, and put gas in a vehicle, let alone a truck. I want a truck though because we have a few atvs, and two trailers and i want something to be able to pull them. I might also work on my neighbors farm when im 16 (if he hires me), so it would be handy to have one then as well.

OP
OP
L

Little Dodge Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for telling us what IT stands for.

I'm honestly not trying to cause any problems here. The only reason i posted this thread was to hear from experts (you guys) for advice. By no means was i trying to **** anyone off. If i did, i apologize. Im probably one of the youngest and and un-experienced people on this whole entire forum. I most likely wont get anything to drive when im 16, but i guess you could say i was "dreaming". Even if i dont get anything, there's always my bicycle.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
He is 16 and has genuine questions,,, dont be a **** to him guys

OP
OP
L

Little Dodge Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And i also wasn't trying to diss the Hemi, or any truck with the hemi for that matter. My dad also loved that truck, but he just wouldn't recommend it to a new driver (me), that doesn't have a stable job, but im trying to find one in advanced. It's a great engine, but i just couldn't afford to put gas in it at my age. I'll actually either be driving our 1997 jeep sahara (pretty much stock) or my dad's truck. So i doubt ill get my "own" vehicle, but oh well. I'll still have to pay for the insurance and gas for it.

OP
OP
L

Little Dodge Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, im 15 now and will turn 16 in about 5 months. And thanks Ramhunter9 for sticking up for me, i appreciate it.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I would say 120K on a diesel is not even to a break in point. For a first truck/vehicle I would suggest a Dakota, get used to driving something a little bigger than a Schwinn. You can get them with V8s or V6s, but they are about the same in mileage (I got around 15 with my V6)

OP
OP
L

Little Dodge Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And i also wasn't trying to diss the Hemi, or any truck with the hemi for that matter. My dad also loved that truck, but he just wouldn't recommend it to a new driver (me), that doesn't have a stable job, but im trying to find one in advanced. It's a great engine, but i just couldn't afford to put gas in it at my age. I'll actually either be driving our 1997 jeep sahara (pretty much stock) or my dad's truck. So i doubt ill get my "own" vehicle, but oh well. I'll still have to pay for the insurance and gas for it.

Well that is, if my dad lets me drive one of them lol

OP
OP
L

Little Dodge Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha funny you say that Wermbang because that is what my bike is.... lol. But I get to drive my moms SUV, my dads truck, and my dads jeep (5 speed manual) for practice/to get use to things. And you are also right in the sense of i shouldn't even consider a diesel as my first vehicle, i should start with something smaller, and maybe eventually move my way up.

Thanks guys!

Charlie

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Hey Charlie , just because you dont own a ram does not mean you cant hang wit us ... we will help you find one that you and pops will like .

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I am still on that plan. When I got my license back I got a 01 V6 Dakota, now I have an 01 Ram 5.9V8 (and it was quite a difference), and eventually will get a diesel or 3/4 ton truck.

Thats good your getting some practice before hand, especially with a bigger vehicle.