2002 5.9 won't run?..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockinacummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum but not new to Dodge Rams by any means. However. I have run across a problem I've been unable to diagnose.

My brother has a 2002 1500 with the 5.9 gas engine with less than 1000 miles on a new jasper engine installed by a local dealer. About five weeks ago, the truck started acting like the fuel pump was out. Replaced fuel pump, everything back to normal. Then about three weeks ago the truck started doing things I've never seen before. If it sits overnight, it will fire right up on the first crank, but it will die within five minutes whether idling or driving. When this happens, the fuel gauge and volt meter stop functioning, and the fuel pump and asd relays do not function, and the truck obviously will not start back. After sitting for a bit, the relays will click, the gauges will come back, and you can start the truck. All of this happens without throwing ANY codes, soft or hard.

So far we have replaced the battery (it was barely holding a charge), relays, ignition coil, plugs and wires. I have traced all the wires for the relays, ignition, and anything else I could think of. I also took apart the steering column and checked the ignition switch, cleaned the rotor bug and distributor cap, and cleaned and re-grounded all the ground wires.

I am totally stumped with this thing. I'm hoping maybe someone can point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Check the oil pressure solenoid/switch. On my friends 98 w the 5.2 it is behind the throttle body. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I bet it is the Crankshaft Position Sensor. About everyone I know who has had that generation of Ram, including myself, has had that sensor go out at some point and when it does; it is a no-start situation just like you are describing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rockinacummins

rockinacummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Check the oil pressure solenoid/switch. On my friends 98 w the 5.2 it is behind the throttle body. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I didn't think the oil pressure solenoid would prevent the fuel pump from coming on?

OP
OP
rockinacummins

rockinacummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I bet it is the Crankshaft Position Sensor. About everyone I know who has had that generation of Ram, including myself, has had that sensor go out at some point and when it does; it is a no-start situation just like you are describing.

Unfortunately no... This was replaced yesterday. No change...

cdstl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What did you figure out?

Mikecollins

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Ram 1500
Engine
Find the gremlin yet im cahsing one on a 2002 4.7