2002 dodge ram 1500 4.7l v8 mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zackernst

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 dodge ram 1500
Engine
im looking to mod my 02 ram 1500 4.7l v8 with a 45rfe transmission im looking to gain more power and modify the transmission, i have high flow exhaust, fastman throttle body,k&n cold air intake, sct tuner and transgo shift kit does anyone have any ideas and how much i will gain with the mods. im looking to stay away from a turbo or just swapping a hemi into my truck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
im looking to mod my 02 ram 1500 4.7l v8 with a 45rfe transmission im looking to gain more power and modify the transmission, i have high flow exhaust, fastman throttle body,k&n cold air intake, sct tuner and transgo shift kit does anyone have any ideas and how much i will gain with the mods. im looking to stay away from a turbo or just swapping a hemi into my truck

Go to airram.com man. He has all the stiff you need to mod the 4.7l. forged rids, pistons, ported heads with larger valves only thing he doesn't have is cams but they got discontinued without good cams his heads are kind of useless. They will flow great but miss out alot of power because of the stock cams

OP
OP
zackernst

zackernst

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 dodge ram 1500
Engine
Go to airram.com man. He has all the stiff you need to mod the 4.7l. forged rids, pistons, ported heads with larger valves only thing he doesn't have is cams but they got discontinued without good cams his heads are kind of useless. They will flow great but miss out alot of power because of the stock cams
yea im going to get the 08 intake manifold and put 08 cams in but i was wondoring what else i could do

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Let us know how things turn out.

DRKSTR088

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
yea im going to get the 08 intake manifold and put 08 cams in but i was wondoring what else i could do

you can port your stock heads and get an electric radiator fan and new exhaust, highflow cats and all that good stuff. upgrade your diff gears and thats pretty much it for the 4.7, ive searched till my eyes bleed

panoz3

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you replaced the exhaust manifolds with headers?

OP
OP
zackernst

zackernst

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 dodge ram 1500
Engine
Have you replaced the exhaust manifolds with headers?
no not yet but i hear they arnt worth the work for little gain in performance

panoz3

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no not yet but i hear they arnt worth the work for little gain in performance

True, the headers alone won't provide a big jump in performance but my opinion is high flow exhaust is only as good as the most restrictive component. To gain the full potential of high flow cats and aftermarket exhaust, headers are a good choice.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
zackernst

zackernst

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 dodge ram 1500
Engine
how much will removing the restrictive y pipe and adding the headers will i gain in horsepower and torque

panoz3

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
how much will removing the restrictive y pipe and adding the headers will i gain in horsepower and torque

I don't know what the numbers are, because my truck hasn't been on a Dyno. Currently my 4.7 has Gibson headers and soon I will install the Magnaflow cats and Y-pipe sitting in my garage. I know I could feel a difference after adding headers, but I can't give you actual results.

OP
OP
zackernst

zackernst

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 dodge ram 1500
Engine
I don't know what the numbers are, because my truck hasn't been on a Dyno. Currently my 4.7 has Gibson headers and soon I will install the Magnaflow cats and Y-pipe sitting in my garage. I know I could feel a difference after adding headers, but I can't give you actual results.

in your opinion do u think the headers are worth it

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum

I have them on mine and yes they are well worth it. The stock manifolds are super restrictive. Think of the stock as a coffee straw and the Gibson's as larger than average straw. More air flow = more HP and TQ. Now for the dyno number on this exact engine with those headers I do not know but the average gain from stock manifold to sorties are about 12hp and 6tq. Now don't qoite me cause that's just a ball park range between several tests on many different engines. But thats about the norm. And deffinatly change the stock y-pipe to a aftermarket y-pipe, the damn factory y-pipe looks like a monkey designed it, it's literally 2 pipes smashed into one larger pipe

panoz3

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yes. Stock manifolds are made from cast iron which is very rough inside and slows down air flow. Their design hugs the engine block which saves space but also restricts air flow.

The 4.7 limits the choices for headers to JBA, Gibson and a few shops on EBay. I would recommend stainless steel for long term durability, but not all are made with the same grade. Gibson uses 409 stainless which isn't as corrosion resistant as 304, which I believe JBA uses. The less well known EBay stores advertise that their headers are made from 304 stainless. I have Gibson stainless headers and wish I had done more research before purchasing. If I were to buy headers again, I would honestly get 304 stainless headers from EBay. Ceramic coated headers will be even more durable, but expect to pay $100 to $200 more for them.

I also recommend tossing the gaskets provided with the headers and instead install genuine Mopar gaskets. They are a 2 piece design that will seal better than the other gaskets.

OP
OP
zackernst

zackernst

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 dodge ram 1500
Engine
so i have never dynod my truck but with the k&n cold air intake, fastman throttle body, sct tune, power wire and the engine hat 154000 miles and it a quad cab short bed lifted 4inches with 33x12.5 r17 at tires what is a good number for whp and hp at the crank

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l

If you want to modify transmission I bought a '03 Jeep GC TCM and swapped with the one in my '02 Ram 1500.
World of a difference. Shifts are more stiff, get an extra OD and it doesn't hop in and out of OD when on highway. I would never go back to the old TCM.
Essentially there is no difference between the 45rfe and the 545rfe. Sorry if I am late. Looking up Headers post.
Was literally a plug and play swap. Go easy on it at first it does need to learn the new TCM. My MPG went up 4 overall. And highway around 20-22 with 33" tires on 3.55 gears

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you do a quick learn? Normally if you replace a trans computer or transmission you're supposed to perform a quick learn to initialize the computer to the clutch value index (CVI). Everyone I've seen who's done this swap has never mentioned performing one.

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
No. I just swapped the TCMs took the truck for a slow cruise. and gradually would give more gas and got to different gears. had no problem at all. Initially it sometimes would feel like it would "throw" itself into OD when I let off gas but haven't felt anything since first week I swapped it. No problems anywhere with tranny