2003 4.7 V8 Head Gasket Failure / Dilemma to Sell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tcoffey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8 Magnum
So, my question is should I just trade in my truck and spend the mula to purchase a new vehicle after having a blown head gasket? I bought my 2003 4.7 V8 ram used at 115 K. Not long after I had a blown head gasket. Fortunately I had purchased an extended warranty which covered a lot of the work. I had both heads resurfaced at a machine shop and the gasket replaced. (I did see white smoke coming out the exhaust before it blew, but am not entirely car savvy so yea it finally blew, also yellow "****" was on oil reservoir cap.) I'm told it was a coolant leak into the cylinder etc. After the all the repairs, my truck runs pretty well at 141 K now. However I do hear a slight ticking noise that is really almost inaudible but I'm super observant now (or try to be) that I've been through the entire process. My dilemma is should I sell the truck being it is still under the (decent) extended warranty? I'm nervous that I have some serious oil sludge issues and other problems from the head gasket failure that will end up costing me in the long run. I'm not sure if the valve job as my un-trusted mechanic calls it, was enough to fix the problem. Not sure what to do, or what else I need to repair from the head gasket blowing. He did not say anything about looking at the main bearings, whatnot that might cause big problems in the future. Many thanks for any replies!!!

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
A small tick could just be an exhaust leak. I would check for that first. Start from the exhaust manifold and work your way back.

OP
OP
T

tcoffey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8 Magnum
Thanks, I'm dropping my truck off this week to another mechanic who a family friend recommended. Even if it is an exhaust noise, am I at serious risk for a big engine problem in the near future because of all the coolant mixing into the cylinders for so long? I figured the only way to clean any junk out without a rebuild is to change the oil and filter every 1500 miles or so. Thoughts?

holicori

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes you need to change the oil a few times...I would say every 800 miles. 2 times is good, 3 times would be better.

If its just an exhaust leak that not that big of a deal.

It could be a valve sticking though, which would cause it to run rough. Won't cause immediate DMG, but not good long term

Russmccardle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I had a slight tick I assumed was a exhaust gasket on my 03 with a 4.7. The tick would go away when engine was warm. Turned out it was the timing chain slapping. One of the chain guides had broke letting slack in the chain. May not be the same as you are experiencing but worth a look. Mine jumped time and smashed the valves leading to a complete rebuild at 145000 miles

JoshMcGrath

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 4.7 Quad Cab
Engine
I had a slight tick I assumed was a exhaust gasket on my 03 with a 4.7. The tick would go away when engine was warm. Turned out it was the timing chain slapping. One of the chain guides had broke letting slack in the chain. May not be the same as you are experiencing but worth a look. Mine jumped time and smashed the valves leading to a complete rebuild at 145000 miles

Same thing here, but my ticking was loud, almost knock like. Tore the front of the engine down and lower guide had broke. (probably same one as you) I didn't have the blown engine issue at least. 166k (sitting for 3 months cause I broke the f-ing head)

A slight ticking is most likely the exhaust. However, just have the timing chain checked by a shop to narrow that down.

OP
OP
T

tcoffey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8 Magnum
Thanks guys for all of the replies. I'm not wondering if it may be a timing chain issue. I had noticed my harmonic balancer seemed to have a slight wobble, so since I was covered by my extended warranty and got that replaced at a shop which I don't trust (Because I had to go to him unfortunately, for the prior insurance claim issue). It didn't seem to change anything. Noise is still loud in the morning for a minute, then just the smallest ticking which is constant even when hot. I've changed my oil out after 800 miles with Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30 and Mobil 1 filter. No help there either but not bad to do I suppose. I haven't taken it in again, but I'm trying to schedule to take it in this weekend and I'll post back what happens.