2003 Dodge Ram SLT 4.7 performance issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrInfested

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello folks I'm writing to you all today regarding my 2003 Ram SLT quad cab truck. It has a 4.7 v8 engine and all that jazz. It's stock, no mods or anything other than a 3" lift kit and 34" tires.

It's a fantastic truck in general but it seems to have an issue with overall power and I'm not sure what the problem is.

Whether I'm idling or picking from a complete stop, the truck feels like it's dragging on itself. It will get up to speed in a decent amount of time, but the throttle response is just not there. If I sit at idle and gun the engine a little, instead of a smooth VROOM with a predictable smooth decrease, it goes VRO--- then chokes on itself, like trying to blow air through a tiny straw. This leads to some jerky motion when I'm feathering the acceleration in different situations.

The other problem is that when driving at certain speeds, say around 40-60mph, driving on flat level road with no change in anything, the RPMs will suddenly go up, then back down, then up, then down, randomly throughout the trip. Usually it sits at around 1500, but it will pop up to a little over 2000.

It seems to drive better overall when O/D is off, then my RPMs stay very high all the time, which probably kills my MPG, and that doesn't fix the 0-5mph choking issues.

I've heard issues could be anything from transmission to the cat converters, but I'm trying to figure out where to start. No check engine lights are on. I tapped on the cat converter and it sounds like a little rattling inside but it's hard to be certain. The guy I purchased the vehicle from took very very good care of it, and it looks almost brand new for a 2003 Ram.

Maybe I'm spoiled because my first Ram was a 1998 4x4 quad cab 1500 with the ever so badass 5.9 Magnum in it. But this truck just doesn't have nearly the same power or takeoff and I miss that so bad. I swear I'll never find a truck as good as that '98...

Anyway let me know your thoughts please, I'm sorry the post was so jumbled, it's been a long week already

:favorites13: