2004 1500 4.7 overheats at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattwade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 04 Ram 1500 4.7 has been overheating at idle. If I bring it up to 2k rpm it cools back down (can do this in park). Driving around and temp is normal...only happens at idle or in heavy traffic.

I just replaced the fan clutch. Would appreciate some ideas on how to diagnose and fix this.

OP
OP
M

mattwade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sorry..just saw I am in the wrong forum as well. thought I had clicked on the proper one.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to RF!

I'm sure someone will chime in shortly

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
The impeller on your water pump could be going. I'd change the water pump. Also, check that the thermostat opens and closes fully, that you don't have blocage there or anywhere in the lines or rad.

icarus18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same thing happened to me.. I changed the fan clutch. It continued to heat up on idle. I had checked the coolant reservoir a thousand times.. It was filled to the line. After changing the clutch, it still heated up while idle. I then proceeded to open up the radiator cap (silver cap on the actual radiator, not the plastic cap on the reservoir) and I was surprised to find that the radiator was empty, I filled it up with 50/50 coolant made for MOPAR motors (You can find it at your local O'Reillys), and that fixed the issue. Before you replace the fan clutch, don't confy on the level of coolant in the plastic reservoir. Put coolant into the actual radiator, open up the silver cap near the radiator, you can actually hear if the radiator is empty (You will hear the liquid hitting the bottom (sounds like water into an empty jug). It could possibly be that there is a pipe clogged, or not a good transfer between the reservoir and the radiator..

icarus18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sometimes. ...Its the simple things.. P.S. I am an O'Reillys Employee, Y'all lemme know if you need any help.. with info..?