2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Stalls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04_hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
First off, tried the search and looked all over the internet. Cannot, and I stress, cannot locate this problem.

The truck randomly stalls sometimes in the driveway while warming up. When I come to a light. If I brake to a stop. Most of the time after I get gas.

No codes. Ran a OBD reader on it to check vaccum, voltage, loads, misfires, etc. Everything came back fine.

So Far I have replaced:

- PCV Valve
- IAC Sensor
- Map Sensor
- Cam Shaft Sensor
- EGR Valve
- Cleaned Throttle Body
- Reset PCM
- Checked Battery (13.0V), (14.4) when running.

I am at a lost for words. I have no vaccum leaks, fuel pressure seems ok, runs great on the highway and roads. It just seems to loose idle and stall erratically. I can get it to come back up if I give it gas, but it dangerous pulling onto on ramps and such.

Any ideas or input is greatly appreciate.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Maybe try checking the charcoal canister and purge solenoid to see if there is any gas inside, its possible the gas tank isn't venting. Could also be a clogged catalytic converter. Try tapping the cat with a rubber mallet, if it rattles inside then it's bad. Welcome to RF.

OP
OP

04_hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for the reply Ron.

Is there a way to test the charcoal canister and purge solenoid? I have a feeling it is one of the 2 because when I bought the truck I had emission problems off the lot. The dealer had replaced something near the canister and I can't remember what it was.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What gives me an indication is that it happens close to fill-ups...

Have you tried replacing your Gas tank cap?

I have read a few times people stating this problem and replacing the Gas cap solved the problem... cheap fix if it works...

Just saying

OP
OP

04_hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
UPDATE

Yeah I did. When I bought the truck it was throwing a code for a bad gas cap. Replaced it and cleared code. Came back couple miles later. Took it back to the dealer (used) and they replaced the leak detection pump near the charcoal canister.

OP
OP

04_hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I agree.

I ordered up a new fuel vapor canister. I'll follow up after it gets delivered and I install it to pass on the information. I know I'm not the only one with this problem, it's all over the Internet.

AvgJoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 04 4.7 would stall after a fill up. Dodge could find nothing wrong. I solved the issue by trading in for a 2012 hemi… doesn't stall anymore. I did notice that if I did not fill the tank all the way up, it would not stall as much after fueling up.