2004 hemi 4wd hard start when hot.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Please advise. I have a 2004 ram hemi crew cab 4wd. Truck has a little over 100000 miles. The truck starts fine when engine is cold. After engine is at operating temperature, I have to hold accelerator down to start. I have recently replaced coils and plugs. A few minutes ago I tried a tps reset by turning the key to full on and off three times. After third turn, the engine fired up after cranking longer than usual. There was a smell of fuel after I turned the engine off. I replaced the EGR two or three years ago. I use oe Champion copper plugs. Have not replaced plug wires. Sometimes engine starts after being warmed up, times I have to step on accelerator. In the past, I have run Seafoam through the vacuum line and tank. Lots of smoke fills the air. Also the codes pulled in the past have been p0300 and p0305 which I know are multiple misfires and cylinder 5 misfire. Once in awhile the CEL comes on but goes off after a day. I use 87 octane fuel. Driving...I drive about ten minutes one way to work on the freeway between 55 and 60 mph. More city driving than freeway. I live in central Texas if that matters. Never replaced crank position sensor or cam sensor. Fuel injectors not replaced. I use full synthetic oil and Fram filter. I have a Chilton manual.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
How does it turn over? Does it turn over freely and quickly or does it hesitate? Have you tested the battery at all?
What I've done before is loosen the coil packs and boots off the plug, creating a gap between plug and boot. This makes the spark jump and creates stronger spark. That would point to spark strength. I'm just throwing ideas out. Check grounds as well

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Turns over strong and free. I was thinking tomorrow after work buy the crank sensor and cam sensor

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They're pretty cheap parts but I hate throwing parts at things without knowing cause although I've done it hahaha

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am of the same opinion. I am also thinking about replacing one injector at a time as well to see if the problem is corrected

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The more I thought about it, try a new tps. I had one go on my 05 Jeep and caused similar issues but not the misfire

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The more I thought about it, try a new tps. I had one go on my 05 Jeep and caused similar issues but not the misfire
TPS to huh. I am going to Oreillys so I will check the prices. Going to get a couple bottles of Redline, cam and crank sensors

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
While cam/crank sensors can be it, all three talk to each other to determine fuel/spark. When my tps went, it would only start when I held the gas down, despite throwing codes for crank sensor and misfire. Being that it's an 05 and your truck is an 04, it's similar electrically, may be worth checking into. Maybe even find a used one or if you have a buddy with the same truck or something. Can always return it

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
While cam/crank sensors can be it, all three talk to each other to determine fuel/spark. When my tps went, it would only start when I held the gas down, despite throwing codes for crank sensor and misfire. Being that it's an 05 and your truck is an 04, it's similar electrically, may be worth checking into. Maybe even find a used one or if you have a buddy with the same truck or something. Can always return it
Well since you say the above, I will get all three. I know where the crank sensor is, ate the other two easy to get at?

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Tps is plugged into the throttle body. Cam sensor is by the alternator.

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok, not in difficult areas. Hey, there is a guy who needs your help on my other posting in the 3rf gen diy. He has the same issues. Can you help him

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have the crank sensor and cam sensor, just waiting for engine to cool

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yea I'll check the thread. Let us know what worked

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well, my truck sat since this morning. I came out to start and go to work. Temp is 93. Same hard start, had to press accelerator.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This is a head scratcher. You've addressed everything I can think of. Do you smell gas or have any black smoke upon start up? Possibly a leaking injector and by pressing the throttle it's telling the pcm to shut off the injectors. You can pull them and send them out or pull them and out something underneath and crank when it's hot to see if ones leaking. Otherwise I'm at a loss

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sometimes I smell fuel. No smoke. All I can think of to replace are the fuel injectors

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sometimes I smell fuel. No smoke. All I can think of to replace are the fuel injectors

You can replace them if you feel like it. I'm assuming this is primary vehicle so you can't have them sent out and bench tested. You could pull them and see what's leaking and replace just that one. Would hate to see you throw more parts at it

OP
OP
B

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can replace them if you feel like it. I'm assuming this is primary vehicle so you can't have them sent out and bench tested. You could pull them and see what's leaking and replace just that one. Would hate to see you throw more parts at it
I will try what you suggest and test to see if one of the injectors is leaking. My Ram is my daily driver. I would rather replace one at a time