2004 ram 1500 3.7 to 4.7 engine swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joseph.lovato2002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I own a 04 ram 1500 with a 3.7 with a nv3500 transmission that recently took a dump on me and I wanna drop a 4.7 v8 in it since they are the same engine pretty much my tranny is good and it looks like the 4.7 will bolt right up to my tranny so thats good. I need someone to enlighten me on the wiring on this idea. And will the 4.7 fuel rail match my fuel line of the 3.7 can I use the same fuel pump. I would put a hemi but i wanna do the 4.7 any advice will help please and thank you.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You will have an easier time swapping, since both 3.7 and 4.7 are cable throttle and you have a manual trans. I'm sure I'm overlooking something, but should be almost as simple as harness/PCM swap. I'd talk to hotwireauto about it.

OP
OP
J

joseph.lovato2002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@ HemiLonestar thank you for a response finally. I will check with hot wire tomorrow. Also I was wondering what year makes and models will be compatible with since these engines weren't only in dodges I found a 03 dakota with a 4.7 on Craigslist is why im asking. Thank you in advance with anymore knowledge that may help me much appreciated

four4fish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
joseph did you do this swap. I am in need of a 4.7 for an 04 ram 4wd. I also found 1 from a 03 durango but i am not sure it will fit as it has something to do with a front carrier mounting on one of the engines thats different than the other., and ive asked everywhere and cant find an answer on it, dont know what it is , have you found any info on this? good luck

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I did this over the summer with my 3.7 and went to 4.7. Its not as bad as it sounds really. To start youll need the engine mount plates if youre 4wd or the entire engine mount assembly for 2wd. To make it all run correctly youll need the correct engine harness and computer for an 04 ram with a 4.7 manual. The 3.7 fuel line will connect to the 4.7 rail, 4.7 uses the same fuel pump as a 3.7. All of your accesories will be a direct changeover including clutch and flywheel. As far as sourcing the engine, any 4.7 engine late 2002 and up to 2007 will have the correct 32 tooth crankshaft wheel to work with the ngc computer. There is a way to make the 3.7 engine harness work with the 4.7, youll need a donor harness. Thats how i did mine since i couldnt get ahold of a manual trans 4.7 harness. If this is a swap you plan on doing, pm me and i can fill you in. I researched this for a while before i did my swap so i learned a lot along the way

Last edited:

pshojo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just saw this, wondering if you still have information and if you could help me. I'm looking to swap 3.7 to 4.7l. I have the manual 6 spd trans.

When you say engine mount assembly, what do you mean? An entire engine with intake? Or something that attaches to frame?

Lowered5Speed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did this over the summer with my 3.7 and went to 4.7. Its not as bad as it sounds really. To start youll need the engine mount plates if youre 4wd or the entire engine mount assembly for 2wd. To make it all run correctly youll need the correct engine harness and computer for an 04 ram with a 4.7 manual. The 3.7 fuel line will connect to the 4.7 rail, 4.7 uses the same fuel pump as a 3.7. All of your accesories will be a direct changeover including clutch and flywheel. As far as sourcing the engine, any 4.7 engine late 2002 and up to 2007 will have the correct 32 tooth crankshaft wheel to work with the ngc computer. There is a way to make the 3.7 engine harness work with the 4.7, youll need a donor harness. Thats how i did mine since i couldnt get ahold of a manual trans 4.7 harness. If this is a swap you plan on doing, pm me and i can fill you in. I researched this for a while before i did my swap so i learned a lot along the way
Need more info.. still around?

Badr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Jeep Liberty 3.7L Limited
Engine
V6 3.7L 4-speed Auto 42RLE
Hello,

I got 2010 Jeep Liberty V6 3.7L Auto 42RLE Auto-trans.

I wish to swap my engine with V8 4.7L or 5.7L and for sure I swap my trans with 66RFE, 65RFE ,45RFE or 545RFE.
Not to forget my Throttle Body isn't wire, its electric one, so I think I got two options 66RFE or 65RFE.

Anyone plz guide me, thanks