2005 dodge ram 5.7 cam help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aconey5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Got a 2005 dodge ram single cab 2wd with 5.7 hemi want more hp tq and choppy idle what cam kit or cam programer and other mods can I do and mainly where do I find them truck has 155,000 miles runs great much help appreciated

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do yuo want mor epower or do you want a crappy idle lol? Not sure what you mean by cam programmer. Talk to the different vendors (inertia, Muscle Motors, etc, there are a few) and tell them what your goal is and intended use, what your combo or planned combo (converter, gears, engine modification like heads, etc) is and they can recommend a cam for you. Most of these places can also hook you up with tuning, as you have an 05 you have arguably the best year for custom tuning ability. Getting the right cam is important, you want to make power, not have a really cool sounding lope from a high rpm cam (without supporting modifications) at idle that can't get out of it's own way until you hit 3500-4000 rpm.

OP
OP
A

aconey5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
more power

I've seen alot of these single cab hemis built like monster's just trying to see or get advice on performance parts on the hemi..trans performance and rear end gears I all ready know I want the diablo programer but want to get the cam swap combo right so I don't have ticking lifters or broken valve springs just looking on what I can do to get the most power out of this thing the right way

Terrance

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 &1977
Engine
6.7 ******'s & 318 W100
I'm also wanting to do a cam on my Hemi, but would I have to do my heads to get the full potential of the cam?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've seen alot of these single cab hemis built like monster's just trying to see or get advice on performance parts on the hemi..trans performance and rear end gears I all ready know I want the diablo programer but want to get the cam swap combo right so I don't have ticking lifters or broken valve springs just looking on what I can do to get the most power out of this thing the right way

They can be, that's the beautiful thing. What is your goal? A certain 1/8 or 1/4 mile time, a power level? Having a goal makes it alot easier to build a combo to attain it, this way someone can tell you which cam to use, maybe some big valve heads to go with it, etc. Helps with building a good package.

I'm also wanting to do a cam on my Hemi, but would I have to do my heads to get the full potential of the cam?

Pretty much anything you do after will add to what the cam can do up to a point. You want to match your heads to the cam to the converter to your CR to gears, etc. Total package thing. Sometimes that isn't feasible ($$) all at once, so go in stages with your goal in mind.