2005 hemi won't start after engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mazdarx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay so I'll put as many details here as I can think of to try and get the best help I can. The truck itself is a 2005 Ram 1500 Laramie with the hemi. The engine blew up back in may and it's been sitting since then. While it was sitting, the battery died on me a few times and I removed it to charge it up. If it makes any difference the battery wasn't in it when I had it towed to the shop, had to put the key in to get it out of gear for the tow truck. I've tested the battery, it's rated for 850 CCA but it's only putting out about 600, so maybe a little weak. So just had the replacement engine swapped in, got it out of a 2004 durango that was wrecked. Go to try and fire it up, nothing happens when I hit the key. No click or anything. The little red light which is apparently the security light, that light comes on when I turn the key on. What's strange is that the gauges don't do anything either. It shows no gas or battery voltage on the dash, plus some warning lights are on. Oh and the shift indicator to show what gear it's in isn't there either. About the only thing I can think to try with it at this point is to try one of my spare keys.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I guess you could check the battery terminals and make sure the main ground is attached to the block but it sounds like you just need a new battery. If your '05 has a fob you could try replacing the battery in that first. Welcome to RF.

OP
OP
M

Mazdarx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got it hooked up to jumper cables and it cranks over strong if the mechanic jumps the starter but still not getting anything in the dash and the little red light stays on solid with the key on. I've got a few keys and an extra fob, tried them all and got the same results.

OP
OP
M

Mazdarx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey just in case anybody wonders what the issue was, I figured it out myself. Turns out the large connection in the corner by the ecu wasn't plugged in all the way. So plugged that in tight and it fired right up.