2005 Ram 5.7 Hard Start and Rough Idle??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShiftMX527

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey hows everybody doing,

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 in it and its really thrown me for a curve. It began as a hard starting issue where you would turn the key and it would crank for an extended period of time, it wouldn't catch unless you hit the gas pedal and then it would fire right up. It would do this only if it sat for a period of time. If i run into the store come back out within 5 minutes and turn the key it will start right up. Anymore than that she cranks hard. Also first thing in the morning after a night of sitting it will start right up no problem. Its progressively gotten worst over time. Also the truck has developed a misfire/shake at an idle anywhere from 500-800 rpms anything above that it clears right out and doesn't skip a beat. It popped a check engine light code and scans as a random cylinder misfire/ 8th cylinder misfire. There's no stalling or anything like that from it. Im mechanically inclined but im at a loss on this one. It has been to various Dodge mechanics and still stumps everyone. Just wondering if anyone has any insight or experience on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in Advance!!!
Eric

The truck itself has 125,000 on it but the hard starting began at 85,000
Things I've changed-
New Plugs and wires
New Fuel Pump
New fuel injectors
New EGR Valve
New Crankshaft position sensor
New ECM
Cleaned the Throttle body
Truck is all Stock

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
So it popped a p0300 and a p0308 code? How did the number 8 plugs look? Neither were closed up were they?

OP
OP
S

ShiftMX527

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea it was throwing both the P0300 and P0308. They looked to be burning good and the plug gaps were right

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Injector cleaning would help out the 300, swap the #8 with the #2 coil pack and see if it fallows it for the dead cylinder to show a new p0302 code.

mhastie1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the exact same problem. Unfortunaly my truck doesn't give me any codes to work with. I have done a fuel pressure test and it is good while running but gradually looses pressure when engines off. I was thinking maybe fuel check valve. I don't think that would explain the rough idle. Please keep us posted to any progress or if someone has figured out the same issue. It drives me nuts blindly replacing parts.

stearnzybear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemi
I have been having this exact same issue for years! And just like you have sent my truck multiple times to the dodge dealership itself and they never help anything! First time they changed all spark plugs and ran injector tests but still no help. Spent $800 having them do something I could have done myself! Ended up taking to to AutoZone and finding out the issue I had with the truck dying was just a crank sensor so I changed it but still had my issues with a hard start and rough/low idle around 600-700rpm have not changed my wires or coil packs yet but they said that was not the issue and by all the forum's on this Sam issue it does not seem like that is the case anyway. I just cleaned my throttle body as well and I noticed a slight gain in power while driving but didn't help my issues at all! Have you figured out what the problem is yet? If so could you please share this truck is driving me nuts!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio