2005 Ram Doesn't Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rchung

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hi guys! I'm new here and need some help with my 2005 Ram 1500. It is an auto RWD with the 4.7L V8. Super basic model.

I traded for the truck a few years back and have no history on it what so ever. It stopped starting out of no were one day. It use to cut out on my occasionally when coming to the stop but always started back up.

One day, I get in, turn the key and absolutely nothing. No crank, no turn over. Just dead silent. Radio, headlights, wipers, all turn on but just won't turn/crank.

So far, I have completely replaced the battery, ignition/starter relay, brand new starter and still nothing. It's been sitting for some time and I am really trying to get this truck running.

We were trying things and my mechanic suggested a ground issue. But the ground was good. We used an external wire to ground the starter relay (by sticking the wire in the negative end of relay socket, plug in relay and ground the wire on the body). By doing this, we got the car to start cranking but will not turn over.

Do you guys have any clue or know anyone in the Overland Park, KS or Kansas Cit Missouri area that might be able to help? I can't afford a dealership repair bill, so trying to either fix myself or see if someone will be willing to help.

Please let me know if anyone has any idea. Any help is much appreciated. Please let me know if you guys need me to clarify anything or more details.

Thanks!
R

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Probably pcm,tipcm,bcm. You need to have it put on a scan tool. Otherwise your just going to be throwing parts at it. 3gen's are VERY notorious for electrical corrosion problems.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you verified all fuses are good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also if you got it to crank but not start then you have more then 1 issue I would guess. I'm no master mechanic by any means but.... I would try running the wire again so it cranks and then make sure it's getting fuel. Listen for the pump, spray fuel if needed etc and see if it fires up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
To check fuel pressure, there is a large tire fill up valve (shrader valve ) on fuel rail. Unscrew cap and use small flathead to push pin in, but stand off to the side cause if there is pressure it will get you. Cycle the key slowly twice first to build pressure, if any.

Last edited:

Chubzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab
Engine
5.7L V8
could be a bad crank sensor, i had that go bad on a old truck i had fired up every time after replacing it.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Like Skyramman said you need to use a scan tool this will get inside the computer and it will tell where to look .These new engines aren't like the the old days you could make it run on chewing gum and haybailing wire and a pretty redhead, blonde or a cute brunette and a lot of imagination.At least you could one of them working if you can get both you got one heck of a ride.LOL

Ramx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
check the number 23 fuse under the hood if its blown it will not do a dang thing i know this from experience.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Ramx2 howde from central Georgia