2007 1500 4.7 annoying engine whine found!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZJMAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a 2007 1500 with the 4.7 (aprox 138K miles on it), about 2 weeks after I picked it up last summer it got a small bearing whine type sound (louder above 1500 rpm). First I removed the serp belt and fired it up and no noise so I knew it wasn't internal. Checked the idler/tensioner pulleys, both felt a little gritty so I changed them. No luck. So I started checking pulleys one by one, nothing. So I took a couple feet of rope/cord and wrapped it around each pulley and gave it a yank to increase the spin speed. Alternator had some bearing noise that sounded like the same noise only quieter but I figured no belt load so it may not be as loud. Changed it the noise got quieter but was still there. So now I'm figuring ok must have had a few bearings on the way out just need to find the last one. Checked everything, even had a friends mechanic shop try to pin point it and no dice. So about 6 months ago I picked up a 2014 ram with the 5.7 so the 07 now sits more than drives other than my brother in law borrowing it for a few weeks earlier this year. I had to take the 14 in for warranty repairs last week so was driving the 07. Noise was louder than I remember so today I popped the hood and decided to remove the fan/clutch from the water pump and run it. Noise was gone!!! Ordered a fan clutch and changed it out NOISE IS GONE!!! Sucks because we had checked the clutch before but it must not have been bad enough to feel and at the time I still had the old alternator on it so that bearing noise was still there. So just thought I would share, truck has a little over 141K on it now and I am so glad it it quiet now.

Max

OP
OP
Z

ZJMAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry mods I posted in the wrong section!

Max