2007 1500 Hemi Start and Stall Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NYRangerfan2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had my 2007 Ram 1500 for a little over a year now and it will occasionally stall while driving and more often while coming to an idle / complete stop at stop lights and stop signs. It will also sometimes not start back up on the first couple tries or I will have to keep my foot on the break to start it.

There has a been a couple occasions where i also had to get it jumped, and after replacing the battery it still happened.

The voltage gage is also slightly to the right (towards High) of the middle line.

I have read online and have been told to look into the fuel pump, alternator, and wiring. Anybody have any clue what this can be?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
When it won't start have you checked for fuel pressure at the fuel rail? There is a Schrader valve on the passengers side. Also, when it doesn't start does it turn over or is it just dead? If it turns over but won't start I would lean towards the fuel pump. If its dead then I would check the grounds, battery cables or starter.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you don't have any DTC or the Check Engine light light is not on then the Fuel pressure is the likely cause.

If you have a CEL (Check Engine Light) get the DTC code and post back on here it will help. I have seen some of these idle stalls be caused by the CPS (Cam Position Sensor).

OP
OP
N

NYRangerfan2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE:

Took a trip from central jersey to staten island for work reasons and it did not stall the entire way there. Then I took a 5 minute trip to the store and then back to my campus on staten island and it stalled once my RPMs dropped very low because I was pulling into a parking spot.

After that I took a 30min trip to aberdeen from my campus and the same thing happened. And then again on the trip back while coming to a complete stop at the outer bridge toll and parking.

Finally, on my trip home yesterday I was at a light and saw my light flashing and rpms dropping and my engine begin to kind of sputter, so i lightly tapped the RPMs with my foot on the break and it prevented it from stalling.

I believe when it stalls the engine light and check gages light come on if I do not turn the truck off immediately after stall, the batter gage also moves towards L after the dash lights come on....any updated thoughts?

Thanks Guys

OP
OP
N

NYRangerfan2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
UPDATE 2:

When to autozone to get it read by their basic scanner, luckily my truck stalled in their parking lot so the check engine light came on and they were able to read it (first time I have been happy it happened). Two error coded popped up:

1.) P0645
"2" body
Definition:
AC clutch relay control circuit open
Explanation:
ECM commanded the AC clutch relay on but detected no change
Probable Causes:
-Failed A/C clutch relay
-Open circuit condition

2.) P0884
Definition:
TCM power input signal intermittent
Explanation:
Open or short circuit condition
Probable Causes:
-Poor electrical connection
-Faulty TCM relay

any ideas

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'd check all your grounds, and then you'll have to dig into the wiring harnesses... the codes are pretty self explanatory... Now you have to find where the break is.

Good luck.

OP
OP
N

NYRangerfan2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gonna look into the throttle body, idle air control valve, wires and battery connection and then take it from there

OP
OP
N

NYRangerfan2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mechanic got an error code having to do with the security system and is pretty sure it needs to be re programmed because it believes the truck is being stolen. He is so sure he is not charging me because he doesn't believe it is anything he can fix.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Sucks about your truck stalling out on you.

Is it an after market security system? My mom's old Dodge Intrepid had one put it and after a few years it gave her problems, even though it was a basic lock and unlock one. It was tied to the ignition and just crapped out.

OP
OP
N

NYRangerfan2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought it used and have done nothing, but I do believe it is stock. The error codes my mechanic gave me to show dodge was p2299 (something having to do with the pedals and throttle) and p0513 (key and security problem). The truck is at dodge now and is getting looked at on the 26th.

YaFilMe87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm having the same problems and have thrown parts at it and nothing works...what did the dealership say?

lucasgunzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This happened to me once, after filling my truck up (filling it up to full capacity) I came to a stop light and the truck shut off and didn't start on first two tries. But this only happened to me once and I've been having the truck about 4 months. But I also notice since I put an exhaust, when I come to a stop the truck gets to a very low RPM like almost 450 RPM and it worries me.

Kelvinparker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What size motor is in your truck and what octain rating fuel are you using. Mine did this same thing with the 5.7 Hemi when using 87 octain. Hemi requires a little higher.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963