3.7 No power. HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dabazi22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 V6
Hello and thanks for taking the time to read...

So i just recently bought my 2002 Ram 3.7 and it has 161xxx miles on it. After purchasing it I noticed that it really lacked power in gears 3-5 so I changed the engine oil, trans oil, spark plugs, air filter, and filled up with premium and lucas tune up in a bottle. No change.

It has been three week since then. I am using it as a work truck driving more than 150 miles a day. The route I drive has a lot of hills, and the speed limit is 75 on my route. When i reach the base of a hill at 75 and in fifth gear i lose a crap load of speed instantly so I downshift to 4th. Usually when i hit 4th it just kind of bogs down and I hold speed but depending on the hill i will actually lose speed in fourth. I have driven stick shift trucks before but this is new to me.

So over the course of the three weeks I have replaced the entire fuel pump assembly including filter, the MAP sensor, and the IAC. Still no change.

I like to think that I have a pretty good background in mechanics but Im at a loss this time.

Important info:
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 single cab 3.7V6 Manual Transmission.
161xxx miles
2 wheel drive
Stock intake box
Aftermarket muffler unsure of brand
NO CEL LIT
Spark plugs were gapped to .46

Cant think of anything else... if you need any more info let me know.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

I would point to this. From my experience, the 3.7 likes a 3.73 or better simply because the engine's powerband is higher up, not to mention its only a 210hp V6. Torque peak is a measley 235ft/lb at 4000 RPM (fairly high). Top gear and overdrive are good for flat surfaces, but ain't gonna cut it with the lower revs going up hills.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Swap some *****'s jeep axles with 5.38s in there and tear some **** up!

Talk about fat kid with little feet! lol

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Swap in a 3.92 axle. That'll wake it up and not be too terribly bad on the highway. 4.10-4.56's would probably be too much with a single OD.