3.7L drivability issue - im stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hubbarocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,

I don't think I've every asked for help from the internets, here it goes.

I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500, automatic transmission, 3.7L. I'm having a drivability issue. NO check engine light. No codes found and I've check a few times in hopes of having a code to point me in some direction.

at cold start up , the truck starts every time. good idle as normal. With in the first 5min of driving the truck starts to sputter , runs terrible , has no power and has, at times, died - but starts right back up. it will do this for less then 1-2 min. After the truck throws it's tantrum it seems to run fine the rest of the time. I only have a 15 minute commute , but If I make a stop somewhere (say gas station) and start driving again, I've had no issues after it's warmed up.

unfortunately this does not do it all the time. some days it will feel like it's missing slightly and it's going to go into it's tantrum but does not. However lately it's more consistent.

I've pulled the spark plugs out to check them and they were all fine. I replaced them anyways. preformed a throttle body service and cleaned all the TB sensors. everything there looked great as well.

At one point I thought it was a fuel delivery issue. Suspecting a pressure regulator, I added on my fuel psi gage and drove for a week with it on. during tantrums fuel pressure never dropped down. it was constant 45-50psi.
im kinda stumped at this point and am turning to the internet for help.

your thoughts?

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
Sounds like when the truck is entering closed loop mode, it has problems.
Do you know when was the last time an O2 sensor was replaced?
It might be right before the O2 sensor gets hot enough to work properly.

Don't just go out & buy them. Do you have something you can hook to the obdII port & read gauges live (as you drive)?

OP
OP
Hubbarocks

Hubbarocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never replaced O2 sensors. I've owned for 3 years and it's kinda a back up to a back up vehicle. I do not have access to any ODB scanner or I would been watching that. however I may have spare 02 sensors laying around I can try out. thanks for your input

JoshMcGrath

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Dodge Ram 4.7 Quad Cab
Engine
Also, disconnect your EGR (if it has one). Just unplug the connector, yea youll get the check engine light, but see if the problem goes away. I had an EGR give me the same issue, albeit on a GM though. Good luck

mc0025

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Idle air control valve