4.7 engine swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Helomedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
blown 4.7
Helping a friend with his 2007 Ram with a bad 4.7, and we found a 4.7 in a 99 grand cherokee. basically, his wife took it to a guy to get the heads replaced/fixed while we were in Afghanistan, and we came back to a rusty shortblock in the framerails with no heads and half the parts missing. so we've been looking for another 4.7 for almost a year.

I knew about the differences between 2007-earlier and 2008-later engines, but now I'm reading stuff about tone rings and other minor differences.

Bottom line, can this work? or would I be better off getting my refund and waiting for something else? the one upside is that this "new" engine has all the pieces that his engine was missing.

OP
OP
H

Helomedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
blown 4.7
Contact them for advice? Because if my buddy could afford a rebuilt engine we would have got a crate, done a hemi swap, or at least rebuilt this one. But I'll see what they tell me. Basically it's looking like I need to swap tone rings. There is one thing that concerns me that I can't get any info on - what is the pair of wires that bolts to the block under the intake? One is labeled "left" and they are both lead to the same 4-pin connector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Helomedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
blown 4.7
thanks for the response. I figured out that since the "new" motor doesn't have the bosses in the valley for the knock sensors (those wires I was wondering about) I can't use it. the tone ring was fixable, the knock sensor issue is not, so I'm going back to the drawing board. I may work out a deal where I get a partial refund and keep the heads, then I just need the camshaft tone rings. At least that way I have a complete core to rebuild.