4.7 Noise on Start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMthis2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7l HEMI
I have an 04 with a 4.7 in it and it rattles like crazy on start up for a few minutes, then completely goes away once it comes up to temperature. Any thoughts? Oil pump/screen? Tried both heavier and thicker oils with the same results. Exhaust manifold bolts have been checked. Sounds like all of the noise is coming from the timing cover (chain was replaced). When I say rattles... I mean sounds like a diesel on start up.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Oil pump problems on the 4.7L typically present as low oil guage pressure and a lot of top end valve train knocking until the galleries fill. Nothing in that scenario that could be called a rattle.

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Lifters. My Dakota had tons of noise from them. The guys I work with always joked I had a diesel Dakota.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Lifters. My Dakota had tons of noise from them. The guys I work with always joked I had a diesel Dakota.
But did they rattle or knock? Sticky lifters tend to tap or knock, not rattle. To me, rattle means something is lose and or vibrating, like a heat shield on the exhaust manifold, or something similar. :Sumo:

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RAMthis2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7l HEMI
It still sounds like a timing chain slap. It really does sound like a diesel on start up... I changed the lifters on the drivers side before the timing chains were changed. I really think that they didn't do the timing chain right, 2nd opinion stated oil pump.

aguynamedmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you get this problem fixed? If so, what was it? And if it has not been fixed what all have you tried?
I have an 02 4x4 with the 4.7 fresh head gaskets and timing chain kit.
Mechanic got me for 1,300.00 on the timing chain and gave it to me with a rattle it never had before. It only does it when the motor hasn't ran for at least 4 hours, and it lasts 5-15 minutes. Everyone I know of thats somewhat familiar with these symptoms say try getting a hot oil flush because it probably has engine sludge blocking an oil guide. And thicker is not better on these motors keep it thin as possible and full synthetic.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
This is caused by dry startup. When you shut your engine down all the top end oil drains to the bottom into the oil pan. At startup there is no oil for a little bit until the oil pump pumps it up to the top. There are 2 ways that I know of to fix this. First is by using a filter with a small valve in it that allows the oil to flow only one way. The Motorcraft premium filters have it, and I know there are several other filter brands that have it also. The second way is to install an oil pump with a one way valve in it. But I am unsure if they made one for the 4.7l or not.

aguynamedmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just had the engine flushed Wednesday and it seems to have made it worse.
Its going to the dodge dealer this coming Thursday and hopefully for the 1700.00 I have left on my warranty they can do something to fix it....