4.7 over heats help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
my 4.7 06 durago is over heating... today i did a flush. yes all air is out. did a 50/50 mix and added some additive. at idle it wont go above half way. got in it and drove out my neighbor hood and thats when it started getting hot. by the time i turned around it was nearly up to the top on the guage. Turned the heat on full blast and limped it home.
another thing i notice is a small amount of fluid coming out of the tail pipe but no smoke what so ever. also doesnt smell like anything.

so i have done a complete flush
installed new tstat
and did an oil change.( gonna let the old oil sit over night and see if there is any water in it.
and car has 172k miles on it.

anyone have suggestions what to do next or what to test? car runs great.

Thanks in advance

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your compression - head gaskets may be shot depending upon if the liquid coming from the tail pipe is condensation or antifreeze.

Your radiator could also be partially plugged, which would also demonstrate the same symptoms.

And - just to be sure the "easy" stuff is out of the way - the tstat has been changed, yes?

OP
OP
05singlecabHEMI

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Check your compression - head gaskets may be shot depending upon if the liquid coming from the tail pipe is condensation or antifreeze.

Your radiator could also be partially plugged, which would also demonstrate the same symptoms.

And - just to be sure the "easy" stuff is out of the way - the tstat has been changed, yes?

tstat replaced. i did run a cleaner through the radiator system as well. I think im gonna try the water pump tomorrow.... another cheap item.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
First some condensation will come out the tailpipe. That is normal. What is not normal is an excessive amount of liquid coming out the tailpipe. My guess would be Water pump failure, or radiator is plugged up. Did you check your fan to be sure it was turning on at the right time??

OP
OP
05singlecabHEMI

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
just an update on this. replaced the water pump and fan clutch while i waited on the radiator to ship, wasnt those. though it did help with slow speed but once i got it to highway speeds it started to over heat. radiator came in today and went ahead and replaced that. and now it doesnt over heat at all. ended up being a clogged radiator.
but now everything regarding the coolant has been replaced and is new so wont have to worry about those anytime soon.