4.7 tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwm82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 03 4.7 that has a pretty loud tick. The sound doesn't start till the truck starts warming up. I've bee told lifter another guy said it wasn't a lifter and one said cracked flywheel.

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
valve lash adjusters (lifters) tick from engine start & go away from 10 seconds to minutes, so most likely not them.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The exhaust manifold gaskets can sometimes sound like a valve "Tick", however in most cases, like the lash adjuster tick, it starts cold and goes away once the engine is warmed up as heat gets the gasket to expand closes the leak.

A very long screw driver (24" or longer) can help locate exactly where the noise is coming from. Put the SD on the engine in various location and put your ear against it. Once you have isolated where the noise is coming from it will help us provide you with a few things to look at.

What is the mileage on your engine?
What does your oil pressure gauge show?

Another are you can look into is the timing assembly. The tensioners are a weak point on those engine and sometimes can be confused with the tick.

OP
OP
J

jwm82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've replaced the manifold gaskets and it doesn't rock when cold only when it warms up. I've tried listening and can't pinpoint where it's coming from. Performance has never seemed to be affected but I can't stand the sounds.

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
They lash adjusters are hydraulic similar to a lifter. I've had them tick on two trucks even when shimming with washers. It doesn't hurt anything. I run 10W-30 and it helps a little.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963