545RFE Transmission Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Delano1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hello Everyone,

I Have a 2007 Ram 1500 4X4 QC w/ 5.7L Hemi engine and 545RFE transmission. I am a new owner, and I am not familiar with the truck too much. Anyways, I have some questions about the transmission. When I am driving in the city, very often the engine rpm raises slightly and the truck has no power like it is between gears. It does this intermittently and also ticks when it does it, but the ticking stops when it goes back to normal. I think it is in overdrive when it does it because I notice it mostly at about 25-35 mph and the rpm's are very low. I have found in the forums that it could be a solenoid pack. There is not a check engine light on in my dash, but I have not had it scanned for error codes either. Also, when it is cold it does not do it, and it does not tick either. It only starts doing it when it is warmed up. I also have a 5 year 100,000 mile drive train warranty on the truck. Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks

OP
OP
D

Delano1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
UPDATE:

Drove the truck around some more today and found that the problem goes away if I select O/D Off or TOW/HAUL mode. I drove that way around town for awhile and the problem never occurred again. I switched back to normal OD mode and it still did not return.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What is your mileage? If you have a lot of miles it may need the trans fluid and filters replaced.

I drive around town in tow mode, using overdrive only at 55 MPH or higher. I have almost 70K on my 07', I will be having the fluid and filters replaced on my truck next week.

For additional trans cooling, I am also installing a 2500 Heavy Duty trans cooler (twice the capacity of my stock heavy duty cooler), along with the Dorman 4X4 trans oil pan, which gives me about two more quarts capacity, on my 1500 4X2 model.

OP
OP
D

Delano1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks for the reply. It has 128K on it.