5.7 Hemi Cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gborohoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking to get a Comp 268 cam for my 2004 1500 Hemi. Is there anything else I need to upgrade/swap? Also, about how much would it cost to have the new cam installed?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Any particular reason for the 268? Most guys went with the 260 for the low end torque gains, that's what I'm doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any particular reason for the 268? Most guys went with the 260 for the low end torque gains, that's what I'm doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I loved the 268 in my 03 Ram. I did the 03-05 swap and it was a beastly truck in a short bed short cab. The 268 really isn't a bad cam on the low end as people say it is. It's a nice cam in my opinion all around. If I decide to cam my wife's charger srt and my magnum srt , they'll both get the 268 cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And yes, I'd do new lifters (make sure they are non mds lifters), 6.1 pushrods, and 6.1 valve springs on intake and exhaust. And then a good tune for the cam.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At least 6.1 springs an rods

Not trying to jack your thread jotin, why 6.1 springs and rods ST-8? I'm curious about the difference and what makes them preferred since I've seen so many people recommending them on the 5.7.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not trying to jack your thread jotin, why 6.1 springs and rods ST-8? I'm curious about the difference and what makes them preferred since I've seen so many people recommending them on the 5.7.

Heavier springs. Meant for more higher lift cams, and a cheap upgrade for a nicer cam. The 5.7 ones are weak and will break under a new high lift cam.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Heavier springs. Meant for more higher lift cams, and a cheap upgrade for a nicer cam. The 5.7 ones are weak and will break under a new high lift cam.

The pushrods are to make up the difference in base circles. The 6.1 cam base circle (which is what all the aftermarket 03-08 hemi cams are based on) is a different size than the stock 5.7 base circle. The 6.1 exhaust springs are stronger for higher lift cams and ensures no float or breakage up to a certain lift. Depending on the miles, you don't need to change the lifters; most people don't unless they messed one up or they're pulling the heads anyway because you have to remove the heads to swap lifters.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The pushrods are to make up the difference in base circles. The 6.1 cam base circle (which is what all the aftermarket 03-08 hemi cams are based on) is a different size than the stock 5.7 base circle. The 6.1 exhaust springs are stronger for higher lift cams and ensures no float or breakage up to a certain lift. Depending on the miles, you don't need to change the lifters; most people don't unless they messed one up or they're pulling the heads anyway because you have to remove the heads to swap lifters.

He wrote it out well

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm, near as I can tell, I've still got the factory springs and rods on mine (154k). Might be worth it to upgrade if just for the peace of mind they'll provide. You guys are a terrible influence, giving me ideas that will get me in trouble with the wife. ;)

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Don't change to 6.1 springs and pushrods unless you're gonna cam it. If you use them on your stock cam everything will be too loose, remember the base circles are different. It's a bout a tenth (.10) difference overall; you won't get proper lifter preload.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't change to 6.1 springs and pushrods unless you're gonna cam it. If you use them on your stock cam everything will be too loose, remember the base circles are different. It's a bout a tenth (.10) difference overall; you won't get proper lifter preload.
Good to know, thank you

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk