5" vs 4" cat or turbo back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I am looking at upgrading my exhaust so I have questions!!! I have a 2006 Mega Cab 5.9 Cummins.

Do I look for a 5" Turbo back or cat back?
Difference in going 5" vs 4"?
Difference is going Turbo back vs cat back? (I don't need emissions)

I am not really looking for HP gains and not even mileage really. I like to roll some coal so will a 4 or 5 make a diff? Just want a nice throaty exhaust, I drive a lot of highway so i don't want some crazy loud thing either. Was looking at MBRP but not stuck there. Any advise is appreciated! Thanks! :happy107:

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I don't know about a 4" but my truck has a 5" with an Aero muffler. It's still pretty loud but tolerable in comparison to my nephew's 4" open exhaust.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Are you upgrading the turbo anytime soon? If not then stick with the 4" turbo-back to get the best performance; it'll have the best balance between exhaust velocity and flow volume on a stock turbo on the 5.9L.

OP
OP
S

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I don't plan to immediately upgrade the turbo, I'm just taking the silencer ring out of it lol... Ok I will go for the 4" in then. Turbo back huh?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
The 5" will give a lower tone but the 4" will flow plenty for your motor.
Do a turbo back other wise its just not worth it.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
A 5" will give you a deeper sound than a 4" if that's what you're looking for. I would also recommend a muffler for your application to reduce in cab noise/drone. This summer I switched from a 4" straight pipe to a 5" with muffler and am much happier with the new setup. Sounds much better both inside and outside the cab.

A 4" will flow enough for your setup but there's no downside to going with a 5" exhaust performance or mileage wise.

I would recommend checking out Flo-Pro exhaust.

OP
OP
S

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If I do a turbo back, will that throw codes for the O2 sensors since it essentially deletes the cats?