6.1 in a 2004 ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is going to be the same project I am working on in about 4-5 months. Cant decide on a 440 or the all aluminium 427? It would be nice to have a 200lbs lighter motor!

I will start a thread when I start the project.

OP
OP
Thomas

Thomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just want to put a cammed 6.1 na no spray and a guy I know has a s10 with a 305 cammed that talks **** I want to stomp him

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
HemiLonestar: He is on here also, Don aka Daking. He is the only other ram on the forums I knew of that did sand drags besides me. He went through trans like I went through pistons till now lol.

Oh I know who he is, just didn't see him on here though. I ended up with the last spare factory transmission he had before he got an ATS. Works great with the 2800, brutal on that 1-2 shift though lol.

I just want to put a cammed 6.1 na no spray and a guy I know has a s10 with a 305 cammed that talks **** I want to stomp him

You're gonna need more, that S10 doesn't weigh **** with a small block and you're trying to smoke him with the functional equivalent of a destroyer with a small block (albeit with vastly better heads). I'd say stroke out the engine you have to 392 with some BV heads and a custom cam with a good converter and 4.56 gears. Then you'll be able to get the beast moving & intimidate the little S10 throwaway.

Last edited:

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
8.9 in the 1/8 mile I hope. If thats a 1/4 mile time then good luck.

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
305 must be lame enough if you are wanting to go bigger CI. Quit a bit you can do on a stock block to beat that time.

What's your budget for the engine and supporting additions like........transmission.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Thomas

Thomas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
305 must be lame enough if you are wanting to go bigger CI. Quit a bit you can do on a stock block to beat that time.

What's your budget for the engine and supporting additions like........transmission.

If I get this job I will be able to spend a lot. the guy and hiss s10 is not the only reason I just want to 6.1 it

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I'm doing a 6.1 swap into my RAM. A 6.1 based 426HEMI. I'm going to use the SRT intake.

As far as I know the "engine" will bolt right up. Although I question the motor mounts, if they will line up. Someone told me the mounting pad on the 6.1 block needs to be drilled and tapped.

Some electrical will need to be modded, extended.

I'm gona get an adapter plate to allow me to keep my accessories in place.

I'm still leaning all the details though.

CdnoilRAM, a member on another ram forumz board did the top end swap, a 6.1 intake. He did a great write-up with lots of pictures.

ArmRippinToys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 1989
Engine
If your looking for that kind of power at the rear wheels, for with a 5.7 with a magna charger, cam and heads should get you in a the 450 range at the wheels with a proper tune and a good exhaust system, the reason I say 5.7 is the weight savings if your going to be racing other vehicles. If you want more than that then go all out with a fully built stroked 6.1 with a supercharger

Iflyjets

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I jest finished a 6.1 swap in to a 03 Ram. 4x4. It was one of the hardiest swaps I have ever done. The exhaust is different intake needs to be raised if you are using the modified truck timing cover. I made a relocation kit for both the alternator an AC pump. If I had to do it agin it would have been a 5.7 with a stroker kit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 72

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I jest finished a 6.1 swap in to a 03 Ram. 4x4. It was one of the hardiest swaps I have ever done. The exhaust is different intake needs to be raised if you are using the modified truck timing cover. I made a relocation kit for both the alternator an AC pump. If I had to do it agin it would have been a 5.7 with a stroker kit.

Well done.. the harder the mod is to do, the greater the satisfaction... :crazy:

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
I'm doing a 6.1 swap into my RAM. A 6.1 based 426HEMI. I'm going to use the SRT intake.

As far as I know the "engine" will bolt right up. Although I question the motor mounts, if they will line up. Someone told me the mounting pad on the 6.1 block needs to be drilled and tapped.

Some electrical will need to be modded, extended.

I'm gona get an adapter plate to allow me to keep my accessories in place.

I'm still leaning all the details though.

CdnoilRAM, a member on another ram forumz board did the top end swap, a 6.1 intake. He did a great write-up with lots of pictures.

Read your update on na. Bummer man

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Iflyjets

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 69

Iflyjets

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
One more

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 71

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How well were you able to tune it with the **** 03 PCM?

Iflyjets

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I just got it finished last night, it was a 4 month project!! So far with the stock tune it's running great . I did use my old Throttle body and injectors due to using the stock tune.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just got it finished last night, it was a 4 month project!! So far with the stock tune it's running great . I did use my old Throttle body and injectors due to using the stock tune.

Still has the stock 6.1 cam in it?