6.1 in a 2004 ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRORam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I jest finished a 6.1 swap in to a 03 Ram. 4x4. It was one of the hardiest swaps I have ever done. The exhaust is different intake needs to be raised if you are using the modified truck timing cover. I made a relocation kit for both the alternator an AC pump. If I had to do it agin it would have been a 5.7 with a stroker kit.

This is very true, i dont know why someone would want to pull a motor and swap in the 6.1L when you could just stroke the 5.7 and make it a 6.1L with the stroker kit. Would be alot easier.

But I totally understand about wanting something different and unique. I've had my fair share of unique cars along the way. from my first 240sx 425hp, rhd civic N/A 300hp.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This is very true, i dont know why someone would want to pull a motor and swap in the 6.1L when you could just stroke the 5.7 and make it a 6.1L with the stroker kit. Would be alot easier.

But I totally understand about wanting something different and unique. I've had my fair share of unique cars along the way. from my first 240sx 425hp, rhd civic N/A 300hp.

Because if you happen upon a 6.1 (especially a long block) for say, $2000 or so, it's cheaper than getting even just the stroker kit itself for the 5.7. I can be a factory SRT 392 short block for a shade over $3000. The cheapest stroker kit I have seen is abut $2500 by itself, not including machine work. You still have to pull the 5.7 anyway to stroke it and it would be a different setup. 6.1 has a bigger bore than the 5.7, that's why it isn't drastically bigger (25 cubic inches). 6.1 heads have more power potential out of the box with the bigger valves and ports (with the new Apache heads being even more badass).

BRORam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
interesting....i never knew it would be cheaper. good to know, i guess if things dont work out with finding a 5.7L then purchasing a 4.7L and then upgrading to a 6.1L is a possibility.

mcraezy87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anymore details of the install/ test drive?