6.1 With 5.7 Running Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SRT-OSO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 6.1 I bought to put in a 2005 1500 4WD SLT. I was going to try to utilize the 6.1 car manifold, but the general consensus seems to be that for all around truck purposes (i.e. trailer towing) that the 6.1 with the 5.7 intake is the desired setup.

My question is, since I'm not after hp, but instead tq, what camshafts are guys using to maximize pulling power.

The underlying consideration is that the vehicle is going to be in California within the next two years as we're relocating there, so I need a camshaft that isn't going to run afoul of the CARB nazis.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 6.1 I bought to put in a 2005 1500 4WD SLT. I was going to try to utilize the 6.1 car manifold, but the general consensus seems to be that for all around truck purposes (i.e. trailer towing) that the 6.1 with the 5.7 intake is the desired setup.

My question is, since I'm not after hp, but instead tq, what camshafts are guys using to maximize pulling power.

The underlying consideration is that the vehicle is going to be in California within the next two years as we're relocating there, so I need a camshaft that isn't going to run afoul of the CARB nazis.

Using the truck manifold isn't so much for truck purposes like towing so much as it would take alot of modifications to make the 6.1 intake work correctly where it wasn't designed to be lol. Is it a long block or short block? What heads are you using? If CA smog nazis are a problem, you probably wouldn't be able to legally use the 6.1 intake anyway. As for the cam, not wanting to go too wild with good torque a comp 260 is always good, or you can get a custom grind for your truck. With fully functioning O2 sensors (you're gonna need those, as well as the cats) and a good custom tune you should be fine. Next biggest issue you'll really have to worry about is whether that trans is gonna hold up lol.