6.1 cam into a 5.7 engine - Anyone do this? Chime in!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am wanting to modify my truck on "bang for buck" mods. I saw that I can et a 6.1L Hemi cam for only $135. My question is, can I literally just swap in this cam and go and it will give me my gains with no other adjustments, i.e. no new springs, pushrods, will the stock ECM just learn the new cam or would I need to tune it, etc. Basically I am wanting to know if the cam is plug and play where I just take the 5.7 out, put the 6.1 in, and it's done and that easy. If anyone has done this, what kind of gains did you see??

night hawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am wanting to modify my truck on "bang for buck" mods. I saw that I can et a 6.1L Hemi cam for only $135. My question is, can I literally just swap in this cam and go and it will give me my gains with no other adjustments, i.e. no new springs, pushrods, will the stock ECM just learn the new cam or would I need to tune it, etc. Basically I am wanting to know if the cam is plug and play where I just take the 5.7 out, put the 6.1 in, and it's done and that easy. If anyone has done this, what kind of gains did you see??

you gotta buy new springs rods etc. and then you probably wanna pay someone to install it for you because more than likely youll have to pull the whole engine out lol
this is definitely on my list of future mods
and theres more than one kind of cam too lol
but theres a lot of guys that have done this and theyll probably chime in soon

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
if i read correctly, these Hemi engines you dont need to pull the engine out. i dont remember where i read it from. and yes i would upgrade atleast rods and springs before the cam.

Gone-broke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will loose your low end torque and mid throttle acceleration with that cam from what I've read.. I've been researching for the past 6 months on cam swaps. The best results I've seen are with the Comp XFI 260 cam for daily driving. It would be a much better option. Motor stays, heads stay, cam comes out the front. X2 on upgrading the springs.

Sent while I was supposed to be working...

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Yep you dont have to pull the motor to do a cam swap. On these you will have to swap the springs on the heads either on the truck on or the bench. Far as the price of that cam I have used 6.1 cores that have less then 3k on them for $50. The 6.1 advanced some is not a bad cam, just depends on how far you plan on going into performance.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Take a look at the cams part list sticky on this page to get an idea as to how much it'll actually cost you in the end

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Yes the CAM Stickey...is Great Stuff Guys!

OP, I Installed this Cam Twice into my Truck. You need Shorty Headers IMO. After the Tooling Purchases anyone can do this job if you take your time, obey the torque specs as best you Can and change out the Timing chain Tensioner along with the other parts mentioned.

I am tempted to try a 260 Next and drop my shifts down to 5850 However my current Trucks Launch is hard and she pulls up to 6400 before I tap on the B&M. Combined with my TCI Breakaway and 4.56 Gears it goes pretty Good.

Watch my Magnum RT Thread in the Lounge in the next 2 weeks as I will be doing a Crazy Spartan install and other goodies swap which will be using same parts as required for a 6.1 (springs Rods and extra Options).

Last edited:

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
^^ When shifting 1-2 going WOT is there a lag from when you shift w/ the B&M to when it actually shifts?

Sorry for going OT.

Swype-n from my Galaxy Note

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure your definition of Lag....I guess its Pretty crisp but there is always a delay from the time its but into second to when it decides to shift/react. So Sort-of but not like before the shift Kit (Pressure Boost Resistor) and TMR Delete. Thats why when I shift at 6400 My Limiter is set at 6500 so if I am a bit off my reaction it kisses off the Limiter.

I do not go WOT as often as my statement would imply but I find the 4-5K shift range to be enough around town.

Sorry OP Back to Topic.

TheSatinPumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
5.7L
Gotcha... Looks to be the same with mine too so i set my shift light to 6200rpm so when i shift at 6200 there is a delay so the shift actually lands at 6600=6700rpm.
2nd to D is spot on though.
Guess i will live with it.

Thanks for the response.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No probs and Yeah just did a 2nd to D at 6K and it shifted immediately and snapped back down to about 3200 again just where the 6.1 starts hard so I do like the set-up combo!

Last edited: