AC Compressor Clutch replacement??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Can I replace JUST the clutch on my AC compressor? It got fried and now i cant use my AC or defrost because the clutch starts smoking...
The compressor turns but I'm not sure if its getting tight which could be the cause of the clutch failure...
The clutch looks like its riveted on.
Dont want to spend $300 for a compressor and clutch...

Anyone know if i can swap out just the clutch? If so, where do i find one of the ********??

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I know that when I went to the parts store they said that they could order the clutch but the more I looked at it the more special tools I would need. So I would say bite the bullet and save on the headache. I think that the whole assembly comes off as a unit. But not 100% sure. I didn't try.

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
It's all one unit, it takes a ton of special tools to replace JUST the clutch. It would be much easier to just replace the compressor and you can't just do that in your driveway any way unless you have the correct tools. I replaced like 6 this summer at work and it's not something I would recommend the average joe attempting.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Can I replace JUST the clutch on my AC compressor? It got fried and now i cant use my AC or defrost because the clutch starts smoking...
The compressor turns but I'm not sure if its getting tight which could be the cause of the clutch failure...
The clutch looks like its riveted on.
Dont want to spend $300 for a compressor and clutch...

Anyone know if i can swap out just the clutch? If so, where do i find one of the ********??

They are sold as complete rebuilds, much like an altenator. Junkyard that has a heart will sell ya one on the cheap. 5.7?? Check out myosinner on dt. He has a rolled over o6 night runner may still have the compressor. He has half the truck in hi livng room now lol. pm him. Or go to a pick and pull. Or bite that bullet. myy 2 cts cousin.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
The only advantage I see in just changing only the clutch would be that the AC hoses would stay connected, other wise you will need to service the system and recharge it. Are the tools available from the parts store? If not maybe cheaper to take the shop and change just the clutch. I'm hard headed and would do it myself.