Aftermarket exhaust too loud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi folks. I've been reading some of the info on the forum,thanks to those that share their knowledge. I just bought my third Ram,an 04 1500 4x4,Hemi, QC,392 gears. The PO had a dual exhaust installed that is WAY too loud(inside cab). I drove it on the interstate yesterday for about 125 miles and the exhaust has got to get changed. What would be a good,economical route to go for a quiet exhaust? It has dual mufflers about 14" long and they have "IMCO" on them. They both go out the back with large chrome tips on the ends. Also the MPGs were worse on the highway(about 12 MPG) running 65-70 MPH. I'm in my 50s and drive conservatively so it's not like I press the pedal to hear the noise.
Any advice will be appreciated.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Longer the better for quiet. 24" might be longest you can find.

$miley

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Yep, the 24" Magnaflows allow the V8 to talk while allowing you to hear.

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree with above, or find someone who wants to trade you their factory system for yours.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Depending on what room you have under the truck put a DI/DO biga$$ Magaflow under it; I use a SI/DO 36" and it is good on the highway with no drone. But everyone has their own idea what sounds good. Good luck.

OP
OP
M

MacG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input. Will try to find a Magnaflow that will fit the factory duals. :cheers:

Roastbeef

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500 crew 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It also depends on where the muffler is welded, if you can push the muffler far back from under the cab, less drone will be heard.

ralaubach

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram QC
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not to jack this thread, but i have been looking at this as well. with a longer magna flow, will you loose performance? or will it still be able to breath, just not as loud?

mojoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to jack this thread, but i have been looking at this as well. with a longer magna flow, will you loose performance? or will it still be able to breath, just not as loud?

No, your performance will not be negatively impacted. It's critical for an exhaust system to flow efficiently, and have as little turbulence in that flow as possible. Just because it's loud, doesn't mean it is performing better than a quiet exhaust.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the input. Will try to find a Magnaflow that will fit the factory duals. :cheers:
I don't think you have factory duals--that's pure after market. Factory mufflers are huge.

IMCO makes glaspak and cherrybomb mufflers: noise makers.

So, get a dual in / dual out magnaflow 24" and have a shop adapt the piping to fit, or put two 14" Magnaflows as a direct replacement.

This should help your performance as magnaflows are straight flow mufflers not baffled noise makers like you have.

Last edited: