Aftermarket intake ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2004Ram5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there an aftermarket version of the 04 5.7 intake manifold, also is the stock part plastic ?
Beginning mods and figured more air flow was the smart starting place.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will have to do a hell of a lot of mods to outflow the factory (yes plastic) intake manifold. Unless you are going big cam, and some head work, the oem intake would be adequate. How about a planned mods list?
No, no one makes an early 5.7 intake. A few guys use the 6.1 factory intake with port adaptors, and edelbrock has a similar one in devolopment. Again we are talking cam swap at least to see much of a gain from an intake swap.

OP
OP

2004Ram5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am considering a cam swap at some point my engine has 121k miles on it not sure that's an option. But thanks for clarification on the stock intake being sufficient for mods. I didn't know if it would flow well enough.

Currently truck just has a K&N CAI and Flowmaster duals. Factory 3.92 gears and one of those crappy gimmick chips. This is my starting point

OP
OP

2004Ram5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am open to suggestions I am looking at a proper tuner (opinions) and perhaps a tb upgrade If that's worthwhile.
Considering headers also
At what point will I run into transmission issues hp wise using the stock unit?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a superchips or equivalent tuner. They make a huge difference. Ported throttle body can help too

OP
OP

2004Ram5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I were to go aftermarket on the TB what size should I go with

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I were to go aftermarket on the TB what size should I go with

Thats another "don't bother" mod.lol sorry to just break the bubble every time.

The only thing a aftermarket TB will do is possibly open a little faster to give some "seat of the pants" feel, but only make a few single digit HP for the $400 investment.

we tested late model hemi's and LS engines with everything from a little 85mm, clear up to a 105...almost ZERO difference.

As far as bolt ons that are going to net any power gains... you're looking at a set of headers, full exhaust, a CAI that actually pulls in cooler air...because the tube itself won't net anything, and then a tune to pull it all together.

a handheld tuner with canned tunes isn't worth its weight IMO. you want to get with jay green, or someone to make YOU a tune.

you're taking the above mods, to maybe increase 30-40hp to the ground (generous estimate), all working in unison. And from that point out, you're getting into the cam, heads, or rotating assembly to go chasing "big" numbers.

sorry to be a naysayer...just been there, done that... a tune, exhaust, and mild bolt ons can only do so much.

now we start talking cam swap...there's your 50,60,70 HP gains you're looking for.

OP
OP

2004Ram5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey ty for the honesty and i wasnt expecting huge numbers with bolt ons alone. Just wanna do things that will make a noticeable difference. I'm new to dodge trucks. Always been a mustang guy in the past. I live in north Georgia anyone know a good place to get the tune done properly?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
There's a lot available to add some great horsepower out of a hemi, but from my research it's all way more expensive then other engines for performance parts. I already have the full exhaust, headers, S&B intake and tune. It's a little quicker then before but I still want more haha. I'm getting parts for a mild cam swap, new gears possibly and maybe even a stroker kit way down the road. It's a rabbit hole that's easy to fall into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP

2004Ram5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would also but I'm curious with 121k miles if the bearings need replaced to do a cam swap to avoid oiling problems which would mean freshening bottom end

OP
OP

2004Ram5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also saw an article on a stroker kit and it seems worthwhile when its rebuild time quite a cubic inch gain