Alternator paint job?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone ever paint their alternator? If so how hard of a job was it? I was considering doing mine since it's not the prettiest thing lol.

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
there was a post last week where someone had their alternator painted red, cannot remember who it was though

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not hard to do. You have to completely disassemble the alternator, use self etching primer and use a good quality paint. I've never used a rattle can I've always used bulk paint like PPG, Sherwin Williams, DuPont ect... You can have it powder coated also. But whatever you do make sure you mark it so it's clocked the same when you put it back together.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How hard is it to take apart? Nervous I don't want to F anything up lol

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not bad. Just pay attention to how it came apart. You could probably get a U-Tube video, not sure, I haven't looked. You'll need a couple of small nails, like finishing nails or paper clips to hold the brushes in so you can put the armature back in place. It's easier to do than to explain. You can also get a book on how to rebuild one also.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm going see if the guy who is going powdercoat my rims is able to take apart the alternator and do that if he can I'll probably go that route, I'm a little nervous taking it apart, don't want to screw anything up lol.