Alternator squealing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
Okay So I replaced numerous parts on my pulley system to find the alternator is squealing. I took the belt off and played with the pulley and I can hear the squeal without the engine on and me playing with it.

HOWEVER, first start in the morning, first start of the day if I let the truck warm up, engine wise, don't throw it into gear, let it sit, for about 7 and a half minutes it makes NO sound, I don't get this at all? Say first start is 6:30 am, If I start it again at 1:30 it will squeal like it normally does.

First start of the day no squeal, all starts after that squeal.

I don't want to have to buy a brand new alternator to fix this as my goal once all noises are gone is to sell the truck.
Is it hard or inexpensive to find/fix the part that is causing the problem?

Is this a common problem? Input?

2004 5.7l hemi 1500

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My guess is that it is the bearings that are worned out.

A good alternator rebuild shop can change only the bearings in the alternator for not too much $ and should take care of your issue.

In most cases though, they will want to do a full rebuild of the alternator, so you may have to shop around to find the right place that will do it for you.

Alternately, If you are comfy with the operation and have a shop press and/or other means of taking the bearings out of the housing, you could probably find an alternator rebuilt kit which would include new bearings and a set of new brushes. These are usually very cheap.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
A

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
My guess is that it is the bearings that are worned out.

A good alternator rebuild shop can change only the bearings in the alternator for not too much $ and should take care of your issue.

In most cases though, they will want to do a full rebuild of the alternator, so you may have to shop around to find the right place that will do it for you.

Alternately, If you are comfy with the operation and have a shop press and/or other means of taking the bearings out of the housing, you could probably find an alternator rebuilt kit which would include new bearings and a set of new brushes. These are usually very cheap.

Hope this helps.

I think could could be done, I have access to a shop press and could probably do a rebuild with the help of online videos, I just checked some out.

Now any idea where I could find one? Any brand in particular that makes them? Particular websites? etc. Thanks for the advice

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You will need the exact model of your Alternator. Dodge usually uses either Bosch or Denso alternators, knowing which model you have is going to be critical in ordering the proper rebuild kit.

I don't have a reference for a good website or kit, but as you did, a quick Google search returned a fair number of valid candidate.

Since your intent is to sell the truck once the problem is solved I would really not worry about the replacement part quality and go with whatever is the cheapest solution to fix the issue.

My 2 cents.

Have fun

OP
OP
A

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
You will need the exact model of your Alternator. Dodge usually uses either Bosch or Denso alternators, knowing which model you have is going to be critical in ordering the proper rebuild kit.

I don't have a reference for a good website or kit, but as you did, a quick Google search returned a fair number of valid candidate.

Since your intent is to sell the truck once the problem is solved I would really not worry about the replacement part quality and go with whatever is the cheapest solution to fix the issue.

My 2 cents.

Have fun

Cool thanks a lot I'll definitely do this

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Oddly I have exact same issue but in reverse order. In AM squeaks and after it idles for 30 seconds stops squeaking. Very annoying and will get me if I leave it but the problem is it seems warranty company likely won't cover unless it falls apart. Going to try and push them do it.

$miley

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alternators are stupid easy to rebuild. Just make sure you mark the 2 case halves so it's clocked the right way. Pay attention to how it comes apart and reverse the order. Easy peasy.

OP
OP
A

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
Okay so! I found a website that has cheap bosch rebuilds

Alternator & Starter Parts Wholesale - Bosch

Now here's a stupid question where do I find that model number on my alternator? On the top (aerial view) of my alternator I saw what looked like it was numbers, however it was too worn to read, I tried rubbing it and it got worse so those letters/numbers are gone.

Also are these rebuilds complete? I've never done an alternator rebuild before

Are all of the parts that I'd need in these rebuilds? Or are there more complete rebuild kits to look for?

Thanks again for all the input

OP
OP
A

Adamc23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Gas
Sound FIXED!

Turns out a local store had only a few alternator rebuilds as they did rebuilds themselves, picked one up, did it all afternoon. Still had a tiny tick, returned my old belt, got a Gates belt and everything runs like it's new! Thanks all for you help!