Another 2003 Hemi with broken valve springs...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DUMASS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello Gents! First time poster here looking for a little help.

Through the help of this forum I have trouble shot a rough running engine issue to a broken #3 exhaust valve spring. I am hoping there is a way of ensuring I don't have any further damage without pulling the head. I was thinking of buying a USB borescope. Has anyone used one of these?
415uOUiFBXL.jpg
My thought is if the valve has not contacted the piston there should be no damage.

I have also been reading that springs from the 6.1 is the way to go but requires a special spring compressor to install.

My truck is a completely stock 2003 4WD. I'm trying to do this as cheaply and reliably as possible. I prefer to spend my money on motorcycles, booze and women! :naughty:

Any help, hints, and watchoutfers are most appreciated! :cheers:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
You can use a bore scope, I dont 100% trust them though to be honest. If you pull the head you can use a c clamp style compressor for the springs. If you leave the head on you can make a tool or use the Miller tool Mopar suggests but that costs alot of $$$. How many miles are ot the motor?

Welcome to RF also bud :birgits_tiredcoffee

mikelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just do a leak down test on the cylinder to check for damage, if you have leakage at the valve seat the head has to come off....

OP
OP
D

DUMASS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the welcome. ~120,000 on the motor. Looks like you're not to far from me. I'm just accross the river in Southern MD. :wave:

OP
OP
D

DUMASS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just do a leak down test on the cylinder to check for damage, if you have leakage at the valve seat the head has to come off....

That makes sense.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Yep your less then 2 hrs going 301 if your just across the river. Just take your time with it and should be ok. Doing the back side of that bank sucks because of the brake booster.

OP
OP
D

DUMASS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm trying to get everything together to take care of it this weekend. I got the 6.1 exhaust springs from these guys....

shopHEMI.com

$50 +shipping for all springs, seals and retainers. I'm getting the Crane Cams valve spring compressor from Summit Racing.....

10248.gif

$125 +shipping :eek:

A cheapo USB borescope from Amazon for like $50, a set of keepers from the dealer for when one goes flying and a fridge full of beer. :D

I still have to rig something up with my compression test set to pressurize the cylinder but that shouldn't be to tough. Not the way I want to spend what is supposed to be a beautiful Saturday, but **** happens.

Hopefully I'll have a valve spring compressor tool for sale here in the very near future. :wave:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Thats actually cheap on the compressor. Stuff the oil gallies and all passages with towels to prevent the keepers from slipping into there if they get a mind of their own.

OP
OP
D

DUMASS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All my parts and tools came in last night. My borescope worked pretty good for the price. All I see is a LOT of carbon on the top of that piston, which in this case is a good thing. I'm sure I would be able to see if there was any contact with the piston. Pressurizing the cylinder during the spring swap will serve as a leak down test to confirm no damage to seats/valves.

One thing I don't understand is the reason for putting the piston at TDC if you are removing the rocker arm anyhow. Won't all the valves under that arm seat themselves with spring pressure if the rocker arm is removed? If each piston does need to be at TDC is it alright to turn the engine with the rocker arm removed? I'm grasping the concept of changing one spring but not all 16. Thanks for any insight on this.

RayH1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Valve Spring Compressor Tool ??

Hey, ******,

I know it's a long shot, but would you still have a Valve Spring Compressor Tool for sale?

I'll watch the forum for a reply... I'm in a bind and can't find one anywhere...

Not sure if it's allowed, but here's my email ad rjsautoservice at yahoo dot com

Please let me know. thanks very much!

Ray

RayH1965

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking for the Valve Spring compressor for the 5.7 Ltr Hemi, doesn't matte if it's the crane cam 99476-1 or the Mancini MM57VSRT.
Anyone have one for sale or loan it would be greatly appricated.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Where are you located?