anti freeze smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaper26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
hey guys new here, i have a 04 ram 5.7 and in the past few months ive replaced the water pump, a few weeks ago the top hose thermostat and housing gasket, but for a while now after it warms up i can smell antifreeze burning, as far as i can tell its not leaking anywhere, and the level is about the same. its not smoking, i cant smell it coming from the exhaust, i have a bullydog gt and the temp stays about 204, i changed the plugs the other day and its obviously been getting hot the wire on the plugs got hot enough to bend back and the gap opened up to about 75 on all of them. i dont know if that has anything to do with it or if its from the tunner, any ideas where i should start looking?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Thisd might sound stupid, but have you checked to make sure the radiator cap is making a tight seal? Also, if you dont live in an extremely cold climate, I would look into a 180* thermostat. These motors run much better when cool, so I would look into replacing the stock thermostat reguardless of what is causing the coolant smell that you have now.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Check the overflow tank to see if its weeping from the seam or top also. My truck weeps at the top when we do sand drag racing. Its not really loosing but a fraction of an amount but you can smell it.

OP
OP
Reaper26

Reaper26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i changed the radiator cap as well, an as far as the thermostat when i changed it it was the same, i didnt go colder with it. and ive looked around the seem on the tank and radiator but dont see anything leaking.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Im referring to it not even leaking that much just a damp spot that is weeping just bearly. Fluid will also slosh up into the overflow drain some and you can smell that.