Antifreeze Leak.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jafo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm rather new to Mopar engines. I just bought a 2002 SLT 4x4 with a 5.9 engine last week. I was looking in the drive today and noticed a small wet spot under the engine. I watched it and noticed it was antifreeze dripping from the backside of the engine area. I slid under the truck and noticed the flywheel cover had a bolt missing and had been pried out about a 1/4 inch. Then I seen a drop fall out from that side. I am assuming they new this when they sold the truck.

I really like this truck. Runs like a top. I'd like to fix the problem. Doesn't over heat. I am assuming there are freeze plugs on the backside of the engine? It looks like the trans would have to be taken out to gain access. Is there another possible place the coolant could be coming from? Are there coolant lines back there? Are there any other passages on the backside that would leak coolant?

It's not a huge leak. It seems to build up before it drips. It's not a constant drip.

OP
OP
J

jafo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just thought I would update. Not being a big fan of coolant sealers, I had to decide if I wanted to spend big money to fix this leak or search for an alternative method (sealer). So I spent about 20 minutes combing through the different sealers at the parts store. I knew the ones I wanted to stay away from so that cut it down. I found this small orange bottle of "K Seal" on the top shelf. Stuff was a bit pricey but did some research into it and it sounded like what I was looking for.

So I think it was $15 for the small bottle. Took it home, worked it into the coolant system per the directions, and the leak stopped that day and is still dry as a bone. It claims to be a permanent seal and so far it has been. It did not mess with my sensors, thermostat or heater core unlike the other sealers I've tried in the past.

So for now, seeping coolant from my rear freeze plug has stopped. K Seal seems to be good stuff. Worked as advertised.